The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Seamaster Vs James Bond Seamaster

: The little 007s on the face are no more
: overdone than all the little waves on the
: face of the regular SMPs.

As much as you might think I am going to completely dissagree with you, you would be wrong. :-) I agree. If I had to choose the one feature of the Seamaster that I least like - it would be the vave pattern on the face. Likewise, I would like to see a deeper shade of blue on the face. But that is my opinion. Otherwise I love the watch. But I stand by my opinion on the 60+/- tiny "007" logos replacing the wave pattern. When I say "overdone" I especially stand by that. The Seamaster 2531.80 (automatic) and the 2541.80 (quartz) were already globally accepted as the "James Bond" watch prior to the LE release. So stamping 60+ logos on the face of a single watch was not necessary. As single logo at the 6:00 mark and the series number on the reverse of the case, would have been a lot more tasteful and the value of the watch as a collector's item would remain the same.

The value of the watch increasing now has nothing to do with the specific design. It has everything to do with the fact that the particular watch is "sold out" no more (seemingly) will ever be made. The same would have happened if they took the 2531.80 and stamped "James Bond - Limitted Edition - #1 of 10,007" on the back and never changed the face of the watch at all. It would still be a limitted edition that sold out.

Basically, I must agree with a few of the other people here as well. Pierce Brosnan has never worn the LE version on screen. So in the hearts and minds of the Omega - James Bond fan, the LE is not TRULY the "Bond Watch", he never wore it on the screen. He has, however, worn the 2531.80 (automatic) and the 2541.80 (quartz) on screen. The downside is that the value of these two watches will not increase with time due to the fact that the company is still making them. They are not LE's. If there is something positive I can say about the LE it would be that. It will likely never decrease in value below the price that you paid. At the moment it has increased in value. That value might hold as well depending on the market demand for used LE's, which will likely remain favorable for you unless Omega decides to begin making a second batch of LE's. I think they would be making a huge mistake in doing so because the value of the LE you and 10,006 other buyers purchased would go down and that would piss off 10,007 potential repeat customers.

I'm not busting on your LE. There is a good reason to have bought one when they first came out. The price was low. It went up. Again there is a better than even chance that it will remain up. There is an even better chance that the resale value of your watch will remain at least as high as you paid. In short, from an investment perspective - it was a sound investment. I just don't like the design. I do, however, like the change to the hour markers. I would like to see that on a future Seamaster Pro. And I don't mind the single "007" logo at the 6:00 marker. But again, the Seamasters Bond wore never had any such distinguishing marks. Aside from laser beams and repelling ropes that deployed from the helium valve, they were identical in every way to the 2531.80 and the 2541.80. As Dennis Miller says, "That's just my opinion - I could be wrong. "

Messages In This Thread

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE