The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: a couple of observations
In Response To: Re: a couple of observations ()

Both bezels
: did not have an easy grip (especially with
: wet hands) compared to a Rolex 'saw' tooth
: type bezels. The bezels on the Omegas are
: much harder to turn than the Rolexes.

As far as I understood it, the diving bezel is used as the main part in a diving watch. It is supposed to show the diving time in case the diving computer ever fails. If the bezel is accidently hit or turned (wet suits are quite sticky) the diving time will decrease, because one thinks he dived already for a longer period than he actually did, right ?.

So, the bezel's ability to stay in place is the guarantee for maximum divng time and for the correct judgement of any other decision one might have to take during diving, maybe for the decompression phase, well, whatever, I am not a diver as said. So, I thing the SM smooth bezel, instead of the Rolex jig-saw, can also help not to bump the bezel out of place. It also looks better ;-) IMHO.

My feeling is just that the hard clicks in the Omega give me this precision feel I like (uh, ah...). Of course Titanium is a bit more sticky than steel, so I have never had a problem turning my bezel. When I was at the red sea I even had the feeling once in water it was even easier to turn.

I don't think the sword hands would work in a
: chronograph for legibility reasons. It would
: cover the sub dials.
: -

Concerning the sword hands. I imagine that the skeleton hands work as well for diving. It could be that you then have a simple tie with a Rolex, because of equal super Lumina surface area. I would not use/want the chronograph function for diving anyway, but more for real life. I "especially" like the much thicker case in the chronograph. For my wrists it could be even larger (not thicker), like a 50mm case instead of 42mm (yes, yes, yes). I just like those big watches. I also like the Aquatimer from IWC, although that one is not offering any diving suit extension of any kind at all.

In any situation, one should really look at both watches and his wallet ;-)...

Andreas

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE