The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Omega? Breitling? Rolex?
In Response To: Omega? Breitling? Rolex? ()

: In one year I will be comissioned an Ensign in
: the US Navy.

Congratulations!

: I want a rugged but asthetically pleasing
: watch, that will keep up with me.

: While price is of concern, I am making an
: investment.

Watches are normally a *bad* financial investment, since they almost always *lose* value over time. See the Chronocentric article Watches with a good resale value are a good investment, right? for more detail.

So, I'm assuming that what you are really looking for is an investing in the pleasure and satisfaction that you will get owning such a watch during your Navy career and beyond.

: Would you recommend the submariner/sea
: dweller, the seamaster professional, or
: the super ocean professional?

Yes--any of those three are excellent choices. The differences and tradeoffs between them are mostly in the cost and your personal preference of styles. All three are of comparable quality for your purposes.

I presume you've read the Seamaster Pro versus its Competition
which details most of the notable differences of each.

Beyond that, there are a couple other issues of note to you for your intented use.

Obviously, the Rolex will be the priciest of the three--about what the other two cost *combined*. Also, a Rolex being so well known may get excessive attention, and not necessarily the type of attention that you would want.

Other than the name recognition, Rolex does not offer any technical differences in the casing or movements that are at a level that you would ever notice in real use. Definitely nothing technical that can justify them being double the price of the other two. So if you choose the Rolex, you have to justify the large price difference on the image and popular reputation alone.

Omega and Breitling both offer a quartz version. For durability and accuracy, the quartz will serve you better than an automatic.

THe Breitling has a pilot's watch look, while the Rolex and Omega have a diver's watch look.

Good luck in your decision.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE