The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Actually, I agree (more)
In Response To: From a different POV... (more) ()

: Quite a statement there.....

Oh I'm not against Rolex by far. You are quite right about--and I fully agree with--the reasons for buying a luxury watch being far outside simple performance.

What my objective is saying all that is is to promote people making an *intelligent choice* by properly understanding where the *true merit* of these products are.

Too many people buy certain brands because of mistaken and misinformed impressions of why one brand has better mojo than another. Lots of people mistakenly think Rolex cost so much more *mostly due to technical merit* over competing brands. That is grossly false. The vast majority of Rolex's greater mojo is in their reputation on the scale of a household name.

These misconceptions are often *promoted* by watch companies and the average misinformed sales person.

: a Seiko or Citizen will be more than enough,
: because "in real use", you won't notice mayor
: differences.

I'm not talking about *major* differences. A Rolex or Omega offers many subtle refinements over less expensive watches. But many of the reasons used to differentiate between the major premium brands--such as in house movements--are *completely* imperceptible to the owner. Well below the threshold of perception or tangible significance.

: Like it or not, you always pay for the name and
: reputation, that is a well known fact that's
: valid for all the brands mentioned in this

Exactly. That is what I am trying to make sure people understand--that is where Rolex beats the socks off every other brand on the planet!

*But*, for those that don't have interest in that aspect, they would be making a notably misinformed decision if they assumed that they were buying significant technical superiority over competing brands like Omega and Breitling.

: Ask yourself: If price wouldn't be involved in
: the decision, which one would I buy?

Correct. But that only works if people have a true and accurate understanding of the *true* merits of each brand. Too often, they are still steered by myths and misconceptions--like false rumors of Rolex being 'handmade' or vague statements of 'high resale' or simply knowing one brand sells for a lot more than the others. Novices take these things they hear and use them to make buying decisions. Decisions that they might have made differently if they had an *accurate* understanding.

Buying a good product for the wrong reasons is not necessarily a bad thing--but it does mean that someone has not gotten the most of what they wanted for their money in the purchase.

That's why I try to dispell myths and misconceptions and direct people to the *real* benefits and merits of these all-superb watch brands!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE