The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: !!! THEFT - Heuer Daytona has been STOLEN !!!

Hello,

I am new to this forum but have been following posts here as well as the chronosales area as i would like to purchase a nice watch. First of all I sympathise with Abel, he has had some bad luck.

Secondly, I do not agree on some of the comments about who is responsible and who should bear the brunt of the loss. It looks like the shipping company made an BIG error here by not delivering to the buyer. This would have been completely out of the buyers control. Therefore, he cannot be held responsible. It could be that the delivery was made to the 'next door neighbour' to possibly cover up the theft as a neighbour is unlikely to question the contents or open the parcel.

When purchasing goods from a web site or anywhere else come to that, a buyer cannot be held responsible for a package until it is received. That is the whole purpose of making ensuring that the parcel is adequatelly insured and covered, so that in circumstances like this, the delivery company can be held to account. While the package is in transit, the buyer cannot be held responsible for it or its contents. Another thing to bear in mind is that only the shipping party can initiate an insurance claim as the shipment is deemed to be owned by the shipping party until it is successfully delivered. As a prospective buyer, the comments I have seen are worrying and are enough to put me off buying online.

One more point, it is OK to put forward theories and possible scenarios, but I feel that it is equally important not to point fingers or blame until the facts are there. I think all we can do at this point is to look out for the watch as it is likely that at some point it will re-surface in an auction, shop or fair and report it to the authorities if it is seen. for all it's worth,

Lofty

: Hello to you all. I have a rather unpleasant message this time...

: I have a vintage Heuer Daytona gone lost with UPS! Strangely enough
: the package arrived to its destination at time and there has
: been signed for!?

: The buyer of this watch prefers to remain anonymous on this board,
: I'm confident he's not fooling with me. I sent package with UPS
: Standard service, fully insured from Belgium to UK (N147BY -
: LONDON). Strangely enough the package arrived perfectly on time
: and there has been signed for upon receiving. However, the
: package was delivered with the neighbour and not with the buyer
: itself.

: Now, when the buyer opened the package (after he got it the day
: after delivery from his 88 year old neighbour) he didn't find
: the Heuer Daytona inside. All he found was brown paper and
: bubble wrap...no watch at all. The buyer also sent me some pics
: of the package...there has been tampered with the package as
: there was also some brown tape used on the package, I only used
: clear tape...also picture attached.

: Here are some pictures of the watch that has been
: "stolen". Modelnumber 110.203B and serial 357527 are
: clearly visible in one picture;
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

: If someone sees a Daytona coming up for sale with this serial...I
: would appreciate if you would let me know!

: Best regards,
: Abel.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE