The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Monzas
In Response To: Monzas ()

Hey.

Part of the problem, for me at least, is the connection between the Tag Heuer versions and the original watches - with the Monacos, early TH Carreras and the TH Autavias, the genetic links between the originals and the reversions is pretty clear.

This isn't so much the case for the Monza, where connections between the two seem very limited. Carreras are my bag, but I also really like the original Monzas - black and red in a watch I find to be a particularly harmonious combination. See some of the examples on http://www.onthedash.com/Guide/_Chronographs/77.Monza/ .

And I appreciate the re-release Monza for what it is - it's an attractive, unusual watch. How much it has to do with the original Monzas, outside of marketing, I'm not sure. I'm not so keen on the external bezel Carreras and Grand Carreras for much the same reason... except the RS2 and that's as much down to black and red as anything else probably :) I have no issue with the re-editioning concept in general - I have several TH Carreras and like them as daily wearers and attractive watches in their own right.

As for buying a Monza, I believe they were withdrawn from the range a couple of years ago, though I don't doubt there are several New Old Stock examples around. Of the Classics range, only the Carreras and Monacos seem to have stuck. Might be useful as a bargaining tool if you do manage to find an unworn example.

Good luck with the search and enjoy the watch when you find it!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE