The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Is It Just Me, or Are We Seeing Crazy (High) Asking Pric

Jeff whats clear that since the crisis people tend to go for buyitnow rather than an auction. Ebay has turned now into a 95% buyitnow place. By this, people think they protect their value and are scared to offer at 1 Euro (1 USD) without having control of the final price. This was always true but for many watches the price in the market (Heuer, breitling Omega, rolex) was always defined. now we dont see any direction.

People need to understand that times have changed for a long time now. furthermore we are more and more getting a generation Y and a generation chips on board: meaning people which are defenitelly not into collecting watches.

We (here and in the watch community) do live in our own world. Behind us we have new generations with other hobbies: this we see also with other field of collecting items: military, 70s, 60s, lcd and led watches, 80s games, even nike and adidas shoes, expensive SI jackets and and and. OK people will always collect: but its more the facebook contacts rather than physical items.

The crazy high prices do come from a time where people thought the sky is the limit. No we see there is a limit and many peolpe cant /dont want accept that they have invested in watches some 1-2 years ago and now need to loose money if they sell.

I dont think prices will not come back again: not because the crisis will not stop, but because of the generation Y and chips thing....

its amazing how much positive signs we see in the last weeks on an upcoming positive economic development: however the ebay/watch/item/collection world does show a different picture to me: my alltime benchmark was always the rolex daytona (new model): during the 2001-11-09 we saw a drop to 8000-8500 euro from 10+ KEuro...now they sell below 7000 euro: thus close to OEM retail....this watch is the best indicator I know...

So what to do? be happy with your collection or accept to sell at adjusted price range!

a

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE