The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
OTD Exclusive: First Photos, Patrizzi Auction of 129 Heuers

I am delighted to be the first website to present the photos of amazing Heuer chronographs to be offered by Patrizzi & Co, on Saturday, November 28th, in Milan.

I have quickly reviewed the 129 watches included in the catalog, and selected these four for this preview, not necessarily as the personal favorites, but as four that I expect to be of great interest to our readers:

• there has been much discussion of the Autavia Divers, and this looks like a nice sample of the 11063P, with the decompression bezel
  • this Monaco is the favorite of several readers
  • the gold Carreras have been "hot" lately, with several of our readers chasing them [who knows, perhaps someone will choose to chase this one!!]
  • many see the Silverstones as the one watch to watch in 2010, as TAG-Heuer releases the re-issue, as part of the 150th anniversary celebration
The "paper" catalog has just been printed; the online version will be release soon; but these four are for the OnTheDash / Chronocentric / VetroPlastica readers to enjoy.

Of course, comments and discussion will be welcomed; the full catalog is under "embargo", so I am limited in terms of what I can release, but I am happy to answer some reasonable questions:

• Are there lots of wonderful watches for us? Yes.
  • How many Silverstones? Three, and anyone can guess the colors . . . hint: none of them are black.
  • How many Monacos? Too many to count.
  • Are there any Carrera 12 Datos, with the "fat lugs"? Yes.
  • What about the Carrera 12 Dato NS, the new King of the Carreras. Sorry, but none that I could find.
  • Are there some "frankens" [combinations]? Maybe . . . it wouldn't be a Heuer auction without a handful of these.
  • What about these so-called "Specials" that we keep hearing about? Yes, but let's see what we can learn about them, before we start screaming. [Of course, there will be plenty of time to scream, if we choose to do so.]
  • Abercrombies? Yes.
  • Poor men's Heuers? At least one.
  • Rich men's Heuers? Yes, yes, yes . . . and yes again!!
  • Strongest selection? Carreras, in my view.
  • Are they all perfect / NOS / mint? No, but there are plenty of really nice pieces that most of us would be thrilled to own.
  • Anything to mount OnTheDash? Well, I suppose that you could drill through the strap or bracelet, and mount some OnTheDash, but none really made for that purpose.
  • Anything for the soccer (football) freaks? Yes.
  • Anything for the Harley Davidson freaks? Yes.
  • Any of those super-cool, red-cased, split-second rally chronographs? Not unless I missed the listing, which seems unlikely.
  • OK, then what about the super-cool, black-cased, split-second rally chronographs? Same as above.
  • Any boxes and papers? Man, this is a watch auction, not an ephemera auction. [by the way, what is this ephemera that we keep hearing about?]
  • Anything with the name "Sears Roebuck" or "Allstate" on the dial? Like I said, this collection was put together in Italy, not Iowa, Indiana or Illinois. When was the last time you saw a Sears Roebuck in Italy?
  • How many "Memphis" watches in the auction. Five that I can count!! Oh, my mistake . . . actually zero. I am becoming more and more convinced that I will own the only one ever produced.
  • Daytona? Of course.
  • Kentucky? Yes.
  • Pasadena? Yes.
  • Atlanta? Yes, two of them . . . and I am not kidding!!
  • Alabama or Augusta? Sorry, no such thing made by Heuer. Maybe see whether Antiquorum might have one of these for you.
  • Any Index Mobile or split second chronographs? Sorry, no such thing made by Heuer. Maybe see whether Antiquorum might have one of these for you.
  • Anything used at the filming of Le Mans? Well, maybe . . . I mean there were hundreds of people there, wearing hundreds of watches, so maybe someone has cooked up some "provenance". Maybe see whether . . . [you know the rest]
  • Anything owned by Steve? Huh. Who is this "Steve"?
  • What about the Sifferts? Yes.
  • Anything worn in space? Doubtful . . . very doubtful.
  • How much caffeine have you had today? And how much sleep this week? Loads of the former and a little of the later.
  • Did you take a "power nap" earlier this evening? Yes, how else could I possibly be writing this so-called "Q&A"?
  • Will any of the "Ten Great Mysteries" be solved by this auction? Hope springs eternal . . . I am very optimistic!!
So get ready for an exciting two weeks in the vintage Heuer world.

Thanks to my new friends at Patrizzi & Co.; all photos are copyright Patrizzi & Co., 2009, used with their kind permission.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE