The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
What OTD is about (for me)?

Let me just explain why I contribute to both the OTD site (with my rubbish photos) and to this forum, and what I get from it.

For better or worse, Heuer is one of the less well-documented watch companies. Yet it still has a rich history and tradition, that resonates with a lot of people.

I have found it interesting in the past to discover more of that history, and OnTheDash (both main site and this forum) has been the single most useful resource for doing that. Not the sole resource, by any means, but the most valuable certainly.

And that history isn't finished. There are still things out there that we aren't sure of; watches we're not sure were produced by Heuer or put together; models many of us have never seen (Jeff's recent Memphis springs to mind). And that keeps me interested, makes me want to learn more and share what I learn.

It's a work in progress. Our understanding moves on. Five years ago, Chuck's Carrera article was the definitive resource on Carreras; now I see that there are problems with a lot of the early Carreras in that article. In another five years, someone may well have found equal problems with the Carrera table on OTD - we already know we missed a configuration set for the 70s manuals.

And that's where I see OTD fitting in. To share that understanding, research and knowledge amongst other Heuer collectors. And potential Heuer collectors, and people who find their way to the site with an inherited watch and lots of questions.

I don't think we, as a whole, are aggressively or arrogantly holding up our watches as an untouchable "halo" standard. I know for certain others have "better" examples of many of the watches I own - good for them!

And of course, a Heuer collector doesn't have to read this site, regularly or at all, to have a great collection. They might miss out on something they find interesting, but there you go. I personally like to be as well informed as I can be about my watches, it's part of the collecting drive and I don't think I would be as informed as I hope I am if this was not such an active community.

Just my 0,10 € worth.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE