The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
"Disingenuous" is a Big Word; Please Check Definition
In Response To: Maintain Perspective ()

Kayvan:

I have probably read your message five times now, and I just don't understand what you are saying. So let me try it again, one section at a time, to see whether I can make any sense of it.

I would take this "perspective thing" with a grain of salt.

OK . . . so far, so good.

I can't recall a "100 Heuer collection" coming to market in last 10 yrs; and I doubt many will come.

I agree with the first part . . . cannot recall another collection of 100 Heuers coming to market within the last 10 years. I will point out, however, that this collection has been (quietly) on the market for at least three years . . . A few of the prime pieces seem to have disappeared [been sold elsewhere, perhaps?? . . . cherry-picked??], but this collection has been on the market for a while. Yes . . . I've got the e-mails to prove it!!

In terms of what may come in the future, only time will tell . . . But I can visualize other large collections being offered in the not so distant future. Under the laws of supply and demand, we are seeing some very high prices for the best pieces; I expect that some long-time collectors may be tempted to sell into this market.

We should give this collector a lot of credit for his focus/passion for Heuers.

Agreed, one hundred percent. As I have said to anyone willing to listen, he has assembled some really nice pieces . . . especially many of the Monacos, Carreras and Autavias.

As we all found out in the Omegamania / Antiquorum auction and its left/right-hand PloProfs that never existed, that even the best auction houses with millions of dollars in budget/and resourse of Omega SA archivists make mistakes. This has been shown in other collectible venues, as well with Christies pulling a multi-milliona Audi 30s era Grand Prix racer pending further research.

The Omegamania auction is still a landmark auction, with numerous great watches and its catalog sells for $100, regardless of these frankens.

Again, I agree. Again, I'm not sure I see your point in making this statement.

Italy has a rich watch collecting tradition, and I am sure the best collectors will vote with their wallets.

Agreed . . . capitalism will be the order of the day, with the money doing the talking!!

I think pointing out the Frankens, and their dutiful removal is part of any process.

Agreed . . . and I am happy to have helped them with this process.

While this is a great site there are 1000s of Heuer collectors who never visit, and still have perfect collections.

Thank you so much for the kind words about OnTheDash and Chronocentric . . . much appreciated. Yes, there are thousands of Heuer collectors who never visit my websites, and I am sure that many of them have wonderful collections. I don't recall ever suggesting that someone has to participate here, in order to have a legitimate Heuer collection. In fact, one of the best collections that I have heard of is in the hands of a collector who does not use a computer! But what's your point?

Holding our 'halo' / standards as a high watermark is dis-engenuous.

This is where I really have trouble with your message, and I suggest that you check the definition (and spelling) of the word "disingenuous".

It seems that you don't like our "halo standard" for discussing and assessing the vintage Heuers. My view is that we have a wonderful community of collectors; I believe that we share a lot of language and a lot of standards, in terms of what we value in our watches. If you find this standard to be too high, are you suggesting that we lower the standard, be more inclusive of the thousands of Heuer collectors who never visit this site? Personally, I find it much more worthwhile to share ideas and information with the people who are here, rather than the masses that "never visit". Maybe you can be in charge of speaking to and for all of them!! If you are really ambitious, maybe you can even create a website and discussion forum, for people who love the sub-standard vintage Heuers! You can have offices in Brazil, Canada, Italy, Germany and the US of A, as you will celebrate all the frankens . . . all the fakes . . . all the "specials" . . . I mean, if it says "Heuer" on the dial, then it will be up to your standards (or sub-standards)!! You can have a buy / sell / trade page for all the parts and refinished dials. Bravo . . . You will have created the vintage Heuer website for the masses, and you won't need to visit this website or OnTheDash any more. Too many "halos" here . . . you will do better with the guys working on their "projects"!!

Merriam-Webster tells us that "disingenuous" means, "lacking in candor; also giving a false appearance of simple frankness". [You can check it here -- http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disingenuous] I'm not sure why you consider it to be "disingenuous" to use the standards of this (OnTheDash / Chronocentric) community to discuss the watches being offered in the Patrizzi auction; in the end, these are the only standards that are relevant to this community.

It seems to me that you are just throwing around a big word that you don't really understand. Disingenuous, perhaps?

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE