The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Too ambitious

I don't have an idea about the dashboard pair, but the starting price for the Carrera was way too high for what was very much a niche item.

True that Heuer is on demand, but US$ 10,000 for a customized watch for the winning team in the GT Class at Sebring (I mean, not the overall winner at Le Mans) is a bit ambitious. I agree that around half of that price would have been correct. Are people getting carried away somehow?

: speaking of auctions, it seems that both the Sunray DX Carrera
: (said to be one of 12 samples made for the team) and the
: dashboard pair (said to have been used in the filming of Le
: Mans), failed to sell at the Bonhams auction in Los Angeles
: earlier today. The Carrera looked nice, and my guess is that it
: would have fetched around half its $10,000 to $12,000 estimate.
: In my view, the dashboard pair was a complete joke, with no real
: provenance to justify the $60,000 to $70,000 estimate . . .
: should have sold at less than 10% of that range.

: The auction results show them as unsold; I thought that they were
: no reserve; maybe there were minimum bids required to open,
: which were not met. Did anyone follow this auction?

: Jeff

:

:
:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE