The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
A Couple of Thoughts About the Sunray DX Carrera
In Response To: Too ambitious ()

A couple of thoughts about this Crarera:
  • The Sunray DX racing team had an interesting history, and some good success (at least over a relatively brief period), but it is hardly well-known or widely admired in the racing world. In the end, the Sunray DX team does not have the following or name recognition of a team like Sunoco, Shelby or McLaren. Maybe the rule of thumb will be that if we need Google and wikipedia to learn the history of a logo, then it will not sell for three to four times the price of the same watch, without the logo.

• On purely aesthetic terms, some people who like the two register Carreras (or Autavias) will tell you that they don't like the look of the logo on the dial . . . it complicates an otherwise clean dial.

• Finally, the owner of this one had been trying to sell it for some time, asking something like $5,000 earlier this year. Maybe the lesson here is the a watch does not double in value simply because it is being sold in a Bonhams auction (or one by Antiquorum or Patrizzi). The 22% buyers commission is also part of the equation. The auction house does not do the market any favors when it uses these kinds of estimates. "Unsold" is not a good entry, when we look back at the results.

Maybe we will see this one again . . . I first saw this on ebay five or six years ago, selling in the $1,000 range; maybe it will be back there soon, at something more than the $1,000 and less than the $10,000.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I don't have an idea about the dashboard pair, but the starting
: price for the Carrera was way too high for what was very much a
: niche item.

: True that Heuer is on demand, but US$ 10,000 for a customized watch
: for the winning team in the GT Class at Sebring (I mean, not the
: overall winner at Le Mans) is a bit ambitious. I agree that
: around half of that price would have been correct. Are people
: getting carried away somehow?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE