The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
quartz--cause and effect

Is it that quartz "aved" the watch industry, or that it fomented the decline of mechanical watchmaking? My sense of the quartz Heuer versions is that they were strictly born of desperation--I have to defer to your superior knowledge of the products, but from my vantage point they seem vastly inferior in terms of detail, finishing, and aesthetics. That they are scarce can be explained by limited production and demand, and perhaps attrition due to poor quality.

The pin lever and other bad mechanical movements are certainly aberrations in terms of mechanical watchmaking--the cheapest ETAs and Seagulls are still engineering marvels.

BMWs are also mass produced, but like Rolexes they are a fine product.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE