The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Welcome, Andy . . . The Man of the Hour!!

Andy:

Welcome to our little corner of the internet!! You have made a noteworthy debut, with this super rare one.

I am confident that our experts will have a lot of great suggestions, as you undertake this restoration project. I believe that you have gotten a real bargain, and hope that you will be able to complete the restoration, to your satisfaction.

This one is as rare as they get -- I don't believe that we have seen a complete 1158 (18 KG) Chronomatic, and -- looking on the bright side -- all you need is the case and pushers and it will be done!! You have accomplished the hard part, getting the dial and hands.

Seems to me that the chance of finding a 1158 case, in the correct serial number range, is remote . . . I don't believe that we have ever seen one. But I believe that you should be realistic, and finding any 1158 case for this restoration will be a great accomplishment and will give you a great looking watch.

So congratulations on the amazing bargain acquisition and thanks so much for "owning up" and telling your story here. You can be assured that we will be generous with advice, and maybe someone will even be generous with a 1158 case!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hi Guys,

: I would like to own up to some facts -
: 1. This is my first posting on your excellent forum.
: 2. I know very little about Heuer vintage watches - although I must
: confess that I have been a secret long term admirer.
: 3. I purchased the Chronomatic movement & dial from Fellows (I
: have not got it yet but it is on it's way!)

: I stumbled on the movement for sale while searching for parts for a
: Breitling Cosmonaut restoration. I really liked the look of the
: dial and my interest was increased when internet research (on
: this site) indicated that the movement and dial combination was
: quite unusual.

: My initial thoughts are that I would very much like to get the
: watch back as close as possible to it's original form. I do have
: some experience in managing difficult watch restoration projects
: but being a complete novice with the Heuer brand I would
: certainly appreciate any advice / help possible with respect to
: identifying the original case etc. for this movement and of
: course any leads on sourcing the required parts to bring it back
: to its original glory!

: Thank you,
: Andy Leftley
: aleftley@aol.com

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE