The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The reason the case is missing

It is probably obvious to most of you, but no doubt the reason why we have seen two gold Chronomatic Carrera dials without the case is the fact that the prices were so low beloved late 1960s/early 1970s Heuers in the late 1980s through the mid-to-late 1990s. The watches were probably worth more to someone to melt down the gold case than to keep intact. I would make a wager that this why we have seen those two Chronomatic Carrera dials meant for gold cases, but haven't seen the cases! As we know, those are thick cases with a lot of gold.

To give you an idea of how inexpensive Heuers were, here is a link to a "Dark Lord" PVD Monaco (Valjoux 7740 movement) that sold for $308 with premium through Christie's on April 28, 1995 in London:

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/a-heuer-monaco-chrongraph/454955/lot/lot_details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=454955&sid=d0db5869-1fb9-49a6-9ef9-dc7445c42123

: Hi Guys,

: Thank you very much to you all for your warm welcome and for all
: the excellent information provided.

: I have been amazed by the amount of knowledge available on the
: forum and I look forward to progressing the restoration of this
: interesting timepiece.

: When I get the movement I will post some more photos.

: Thank you,
: Andy

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE