The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My experience

Hello fellow( bidder)s,

My selection of interesting watches was very narrow (no Monacos, no manual wind Autavias, no Siffert, no first generation Carreras). So I could dare to place a few absentee bids in advance to play safe. It may sound unprofessional but I expected to catch the room's atmosphere and then possibly increase certain bids. This strategy did work for me.

The on-line auction went well until lot no. 26, the Lemania Carrera, which I caught by my absentee bid. I was ready to hit the bid button for the next increment(s), but then the connection broke.

Fortunately, I was able to re-connect before the other items of interest (for me) appeared. The on-line application continued smoothly. I was successful on one additional item only, the early 1163MH.

I am surprised about the high quota of unsold items at these reasonable estimates. But this has nothing to do with the short connection break down. I saw a few items definitely sold which then got the "unsold" label.

Please keep in mind that on-line bidding is only an additional service which may fail temporarily or permanently. You may compare this with the risk of entering the auction room too late due to a cancelled flight. Sure, the technical difficulties may have bothered bidders on the most attractive items (Siffert, Monacos).

The Bonhams staff in London and on site in Monaco does such a great job. The people are very responsive, even immediately before auction start.

To summarize: this was a small, fine watch auction, though not in the same class as the Haslinger auction.

Cheers,

Mick

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE