The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
For a Watch You Want, Must Have Redundant Connections
In Response To: Mick, respectfully disagree ()

I had registered with Bonhams and -- recalling the debacle with the Haslinger auction, which cost me a couple of watches (or saved me a few thousand dollars, depending how you see it) -- also had requested a representative on the phone. So my plan was to work with the gentleman on the phone for Lot 36 (which I really wanted), and to use the online bidding system opportunistically.

So as it turned out, I missed the "opportunity" for bargain hunting (in the first 33 lots), and stayed on the phone through the end of the auction (Lots 33 through the end). I was hoping to catch a bargain, but by then the online system was working, so there were no bargains. My advice -- if there's a watch you really want to bid on, have a back-up connection in place.

By the way, it was also fun chatting with the representative on the phone, as we watched the lots going by.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: As I posted earlier on Lot 14. Shows unsold, but I had placed a bid
: significantly above the high estimate. Did it sell, and at what
: price.
: In the watch auction world, you just have to look at Antiquorum.
: Over the past 7+ years I have followed most of them and
: purchased over five watches and
: only remember one connection issue. They stopped the auction for 10
: miuntes until resolved.
: While online bidding may be a convenience for bidders, if you
: cannot get connectivity, how many potential biders are you
: locking out. Most of us cannot travel
: to these auctions, and rely on the online capabilty to bid
: I clearly remember the Arno auction, and there were constant
: problems with the online system. I would have thought in 2
: years, Bonhams would have got this straightened out.
: I don't doubt the professionalism of the Bonhams staff, just
: perplexed that even today they cannot get a system to be
: reliable.

: Congratulations to you and Jeff for getting a winning bid.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE