The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: What does "MINT" mean?
In Response To: What does "MINT" mean? ()

I like this discussion. NOS for me means: watch has even sticker on back and has best purple transport wax on case: this you find very seldom. Even I have seen these type of watches most of them has slight wear from storage: bracelet claps or box. I mean they where 99,9% but things like lume was sometimes old/discolord or the lume was broken in the hands even.

MINT is hard to define: for me its more a stomach condition which is close to " minor usage" ect. also here you have many many shades ....

For me personally a refurbished watch: MINT or NOS : I mean case refurbished is NOT MINT or NOS anymore. Even we all state MINT we should celarly indiacte that the case was rfurbished: most buyers think its invisible, but if you lift the bezel you most of the time see the refurbishment work on the bzel holder ring at the case.

Interesting is also the discussion what very good or good means: I mean good is lower than very good and this lower than MINT.

ape

: In the pocket watch world we have ongoing discussions (fights)
: about watch grading terms. Here in the wrist watch world, I have
: always been amazed how easily the terms "NOS" (New Old
: Stock) and "MINT" are thrown around. To me NOS means
: that a watch is in its original packaging with all of its
: originally included papers, tags and trinkets and has no
: evidence of ever having been worn. Mint means that the watch is
: in the same unused condition as NOS but does not have all of its
: original packaging etc. To me there is no room for any hedging
: with these terms. It means the watch is NEW...as it would have
: been in a dealer's display case before having been purchased.
: These are terms reserved for very very few vintage or antique
: watches indeed.

: What do you think?

: JohnCote

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE