The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
follow-up

Re: Alternatives that are usable... Posted By: Steve Leung on Date: 1/9/05 19:02 GMT

In Response To: Alternatives that are usable... (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

Thanks for the info, Chuck!

No problem...

I've purchased the silver faced CS 3110. It looks fantastic!

I like the Silver dial... I wish Swatch group would continue to sell them the movements for that model Or Zenith would develop a manual wind movement for TAG-Heuer to use)...

The link for the Omega FAQ points again to the link for the manual but I've accessed it from a list of your articles in Onthedash.com. Coming back to the winding issue, if the crown is wound to a point where it's almost "springing" back as you turn, is this the point to stop?

You should feel the winding mechanism "tightening up" and eventually it rolls to a block. This is when you should stop.

Also, can you overwind the mechanism?

Yes, but you have to have the arms of a Schwartzenegger or plyiers and a vice in order to do this. No, I don't recommend this.

I've just noticed after activating the chronograph, the hour hands at the 6 O'clock register has moved to an hour even though only 30mins has elasped. Is this the "Hour register creep"?

No, Chrono Hour creep is when the chronograph hour register "creeps" forward even when the chronograph isn't running. Your watch seems to be suffering from something else.

As I've only purchased this watch, should I return it to have this sorted or should I reset the chronograph before using as suggested in the article?

Well, I'd stop the chronograph reset the chronograph and try it again, if the behaviour you noted persists, I'd take the watch back and explain the situation.

Oh, one other thing. The reason I questioned whether this was a manual wind watch was that on the TAG-heuer website about the 40th anniversary model, it states that the Re-edition was a "self-winding chronograph". That's incorrect isn't?

The 40th Anniversary edition of the Carrera (2-Register with date at 6 o'clock) {AKA Carrera Limited Edition} is an automatic chronograph. The 1964 Re-Edition (3-Register, no-date) is a manual wind watch.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE