The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Weird Posting: Death Of The Classic Sports Watch In F1

Hi All,

I take advantage of this post to talk about sport watches in Ferrari.
As some of you will know I work in Ferrari GES (GEstione Sportiva, that is the racing dept.) and sadly I must admit that Heuer is unknown there, at least among people working in my ambient (that is people working at dyno benches, R&D benches and electronics and engine department, don't know exactly the situation among people who go on racetrack for races) because all the persons who worked there in '70 have obviously gone in pension and there are a lot of young people that haven't this "mechanical watch"culture...

I saw a couple of times some expensive Hublot at the wrist of big managers but for the rest there is a lot of Omega Speedmaster that have been given as gift from Michael Schumacher during his golden age (my boss has two, the black with orange accents and the creamy dial 2007 one), in my office all the people who have worked with Michael Schumacher have at least one (Michael is a Lord and gave so many watches to everybody, also totpeople not directly involved in racetrack operations, If I'm not wrong the 2007 limited edition made for Ferrari is a lot of 500 watches...) but many of them don't know the value of that watch...

But sadly no one (and I tell no one) knows Heuer, except the few people working everyday with me for obvious reasons.
The only other Heuer I saw is a Monza wore occasionally at the wrist of a son of an old mechanic working in '70, but is in poor state as his father wore it for 40+ years (and still works :-) ).

For the rest Heuer there is forgotten and this makes me a bit sad.

Best.

Gianluca

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE