The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Weird Posting: Death Of The Classic Sports Watch In F1

I think they can hardly claim Felipe's RM is not a sports watch.
Felipe is pretty much the only driver who wears a watch while racing, the others just put theirs on for the podium ceremonies.
Ok, it's not a stainless watch, it ain't a cheapo, but it delivers what it says on the box.
And our beloved Heuer's weren't exactly cheap giveaways in their time either (although still a VERY different level than where RM is at today...).

I only know about Sir Jackie for the Daytona.

: Weird posting -- The Death Of The Classic Sports Watch In F1,
: And Other Lessons From The Italian Grand Prix .

: The posting loses credibility with the statement that the Rolex
: Daytona was the most iconic racing watch of the 1960s. Tell me
: exactly how many of these Rolexes we saw on the wrists of the
: 1960s racers?

: Of course, based on our own observations and searches of photo
: databases, we know that the racers were wearing Heuers more than
: any other brand, including Rolex.

: Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE