The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Again, Time for a service
In Response To: Timex is better ()

For cryin out loud, its probably just a simple service issue with the watch. Its not time for the garbage bin. Yes, you should be able to pass the watch to your Grandchildren, but don't expect to pass it to them unserviced after 25 years, because by then, the watch movement will probably be ruined.

Hate to tell you this, but there are NO advantages to owning an expensive MECHANICAL watch, other than personal satisfaction. They usually keep marginal time, cost a lot of money, and require continued service. And yes, any $25 quartz timex will certainly keep better time and will last a good while, but the reasons you buy an expensive watch are the same reasons you buy an expensive car, looks, styling, performance, luxury, "cause you can", etc., but a $15k Corolla and a $50k Mercedes will BOTH need routine service, including tires, oil, filters, radiator flushes, brakes, etc., etc. And I can tell you that a Mercedes service will cost you an arm and a leg, but you will do it so that the car WILL LAST LONGER. Same principle with the watch. IT NEEDS SERVICE TO LAST LONGER.

If you dont ever think you will need to either 1)service or 2)repair any MECHANICAL watch that you buy, then, I would certainly sell the ones you have tomorrow and get a quartz timex. Even if it breaks, you just buy another one.

By the way, both the Breitling and the Baume and Mercier you spoke of also use similar movements that powers the Omega cal 1120. Either of those could easily give you the same problem that your Omega is currently giving you, or either could last 20+ years without service.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE