The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: My 4 cents
In Response To: Re: My 4 cents ()

A couple of things.

a) The whole "middle, working class" thing is just snobbish. People buy watches for a variety of reasons. In fact, those that have "real money" tend to not say things like this.

b) Buy what you like. I have a variety of watches from Casio, seiko quartz, Swiss Army, Croton, Rado, Omega, Suunto for hiking/excercise, and yes, a Rolex. I have had the Rolex Sub for 16 years, never had it serviced, and it runs perfectly. It is extremely confortable to wear (more so than the Omega Seamaster which seems to want to "grip" my wrist, leaving a nice impression of the Sea Horse on my wrist if I sleep with it on, especially now in summer, and the band is already on the loose side). Still, the Omega Bond SMP I own is a damn nice watch, and I wear it at least 50% of the time.

3) You can get EXCELLENT watches for less than the cost of an Omega. Croton makes excellent watches, swiss automatic movement, alligator straps, etc. In fact, isn't there like 2-3 places in Switzerland that makes movements for most of the major watch companies? Just because a movement is made "in house" doesn't mean it is better. It just has that prestige...and you pay for it. Which is fine also, as that was the main reason I bought the newer SMP (co-axial movement) rather than saving some dough and buying the older model with the non co-axial movement.

So, short version: Come on Omega owners! Don't judge people so harshly for personal preferences (working class, etc.). Live and let live, buy what you like. PS: As I write this, I am wearing my Omega.

: A few other things...

: 1. Anyone who is buying a mechanical watch - be
: it hand wind or auto - for the first time
: should be forced to read the Consumer Zone
: section of this website to learn what a
: luxury watch does/does not buy you.

: 2. The argument that many Rolexes are worn by
: middle class and working class may be true
: but it doesn't necessarily equate them to
: being a show off. To many, including me, it
: is the proverbial "brass ring" and
: often a symbol of some accomplishment
: whether it be a retirement gift to oneself,
: a wedding, a work promotion, or an heirloom
: to pass on to future generations. Reward
: yourself!

: 3. I'm surprised that some of you -- who have
: much more knowledge of watches than I --
: only have narrow minded suggestions for Tom.
: Example: "If you don't want to maintain
: an Omega, go buy a Timex!". What kind
: of helpful suggestion is that? There are far
: more choices in between a $1.5K Omega and
: $50 Timex. For example, sub $500 can get you
: a quality automatic watch like the German
: made Stowa (with Swiss movement) where most
: of your money is going towards the product
: rather than shareholder dividends, glossy
: ads in GQ, and celebrity endorsements. And
: you can probably get it serviced and
: maintained by a local qualified watch
: repairer for under a $100 since it uses an
: off the shelf ETA 2824 movement. It's just
: that you probably won't draw as much
: attention as with a Rolex or Omega.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE