The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: My 4 cents
In Response To: Re: My 4 cents ()

Well it comes down to the motive of the person buying the watch regardless of socioeconomic class.

Who are they buying the watch for? To impress others, or to impress themselves?

I buy watches that impress me. I couldn't care less what others think. In fact, most people I come across in work and play don't even take notice of people's watches anymore. I could be wearing a Seamaster one day, and a Timex the next and, really, they wouldn't notice the difference.

Even then, I hold nothing against people - rich or poor or in between - who would buy a Rolex, Omega, or Tag or even a fake for that matter - to gain attention from others.

Their vanity reasons are as legitimate (or as flakey depending on how you view it) as my eccentric need to wear an automatic watch because it feels like it has a "soul"! <- Now that's weird!

Bottom line: it's about satiating some intrinsic or extrinsic need or want and everyone's reasons differ and everyone has their reasons.

Besides, high-end watches are becoming less and less of a symbol of luxury and vanity -- in this geek era of "pimped out" cel phones, Blackberries, and IPods -- than they once were in the 80's and 90's.

These days, you really have to love watches -- whether you're rich or poor or in between -- to be buying them, maintaining them, and living with them.

I love watches whether they be an Omega Seamaster, or a $50 Timex Ironman for working out. I just love watches,period...still don't own a Blackberry, or IPod. ;)

: A couple of things.

: a) The whole "middle, working class"
: thing is just snobbish. People buy watches
: for a variety of reasons. In fact, those
: that have "real money" tend to not
: say things like this.

: b) Buy what you like. I have a variety of
: watches from Casio, seiko quartz, Swiss
: Army, Croton, Rado, Omega, Suunto for
: hiking/excercise, and yes, a Rolex. I have
: had the Rolex Sub for 16 years, never had it
: serviced, and it runs perfectly. It is
: extremely confortable to wear (more so than
: the Omega Seamaster which seems to want to
: "grip" my wrist, leaving a nice
: impression of the Sea Horse on my wrist if I
: sleep with it on, especially now in summer,
: and the band is already on the loose side).
: Still, the Omega Bond SMP I own is a damn
: nice watch, and I wear it at least 50% of
: the time.

: 3) You can get EXCELLENT watches for less than
: the cost of an Omega. Croton makes excellent
: watches, swiss automatic movement, alligator
: straps, etc. In fact, isn't there like 2-3
: places in Switzerland that makes movements
: for most of the major watch companies? Just
: because a movement is made "in
: house" doesn't mean it is better. It
: just has that prestige...and you pay for it.
: Which is fine also, as that was the main
: reason I bought the newer SMP (co-axial
: movement) rather than saving some dough and
: buying the older model with the non co-axial
: movement.

: So, short version: Come on Omega owners! Don't
: judge people so harshly for personal
: preferences (working class, etc.). Live and
: let live, buy what you like. PS: As I write
: this, I am wearing my Omega.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE