The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Poor Man's Heuer additional question... *PIC*

Hi all,

first, thanks for the fantastic Poor Man's Heuers, you shared via photos and description. Let's see what else will come out of your drawers...

But let's broaden the discussion to the differences and the question of being made by Heuer or made with similar parts as Heuer.

As we can see regarding the photos at OTD and in this thread, there are Poor Man's Heuers, which are totally similar to the original, only the marking on the dial, the movement bridges and the inside of the back are different. Have a look at my Zodiac Carrera. I even was asthonished when I opened the case and saw, that the marking on the back-inside was 'adjusted' to Zodiac and , I assume, the Heuer marking has been removed by milling...but case reference no. 1153 still is visible, also the case number itself.Have a look at the photos (sorry for bad resolution)included with the link below. So I resume, my Zodiac was made by Heuer for Zodiac.

Furthermore, we can see the handwind Poor Man's Carreras on OTD. Different cases, maybee crowns and pushers are different, but movement and dial are similar. I assume these are the next category built by Heuer using some similar parts within the different parts.

And last but not least have a look at the (for example) Chronomatic Hamiltons. The differences are even more obvious in my opinion. Therefore I would range them in another category. I assume, these are not built by Heuer but in direct cooperation with Heuer (remember the Cal 11 - 15 cooperation between Buren Hamilton, Dubois Depraz, Breitling and Heuer).

Your opinion????

Cheers, Martin

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE