The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I Have a Problem

I have a problem: The only watches that I could even name in the $50 to $250K category are (a) vintage Rolex chrono (perhaps one from Eric's collection) or (b) mid-range Patek, modern or vintage.

of those two, the choice would be the vintage Rolex chrono.

when I am looking through the current watch magazines, and I see all these watches in the $50K plus range, I just giggle. What a silly world, when companies with no heritage or know-how are struggling to design watches that will have the huge price tags and appeal to people who are desperate to spend this kind of money on a piece of jewelry / statement to those around them ("I have so much money that I dropped $50 / $150K on this crazy looking watch. Can you tell me, do I need high-price batteries for it or are the normal kind OK."). I can appreciate $500K to $1.0M (or beyond) for a great car, but not for a watch.

It would be fun to move up to the next band of collecting (say $5K to $50K), but I would see know need to go beyond $50K . . . unless I wanted to own one of Eric's old chronos!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Inspired by the Heuer->Rolex->Patek->?
: issue (see Jeff's thread below), I'd like to
: ask the forum one question: If you had to
: spend, say $50-$250k on ONE watch, what
: would it be?

: This is not a watch investment question, more
: of taste.
: So the rules are: - you'd have to wear the
: watch regularly for at least ten years
: - you could not sell it for money
: - you can not give it away or swap it
: - when you are tired of it, it disappears (it's
: a hypothetical question, ok)
: - only one watch, that's the point of the
: question.

: So which would it be?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE