The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Dad's watch: Triple Chrono 2543 ?

I'll echo Jeff's welcome to the site, and compliment you on your watch too - nice choice on your father's part and very well preserved for something in excess of 50 years old. I think wearing it to your daughter's wedding would be a lovely idea too.

Heuer had a long and proud tradition of making these triple calendar watches, all the way to the mid-80s when they allowed them to peter out with the Golden Hours watches. I think that's a shame as these are elegant watches with some sportiness still about them, and it's an obvious omission in the range now, particularly as "complicated" watches are quite in vogue. (An additional function on a watch is called a complication, rather than that being me saying the watch is complicated...).

We saw a similar watch a while back to ID, so rather than retread that whole post I'll link to it here:

http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?page=1;md=read;id=32900

Suffice to say that your watch, too, made it as the "cover girl" of the 1946 brochure we have on the site:

Don't worry about the round pushers, the watch inside the catalogue http://www.onthedash.com/Guide/_Catalogs/1946_Brochure/ has the same oblong pushers as your example - I think Heuer has taken a little artistic licence with the illustration on the front, although undoubtedly as the 50s marched towards the 60s, bar pushers were on their way out in favour of round ones. I don't have enough data on the serial numbers stamped on movements to make much of a specific guess at a year for the watch (does the serial on the movement start 500 or 300, I can't quite make it out from the photo?) but I reckon it does sit in that post-war to early 50s period.

As far as restoration goes, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well it comes up with replacing, or even just polishing, the "glass". In fact, I'd probably go to see the watch (or ask for photos if you're a long way from the watchmaker) at that stage and decide what more to do from there (the movement needing servicing notwithstanding, that clearly needs to be done). The case could do with a clean, but personally I'd stop short of having it polished - you'll find opinions on this vary on any watch forum, but I feel it's earned the odd scratch and scar and, once polished, you can never un-polish.

I hope it's all together for the wedding and keeps good time on that day of all days, and it's a splendid day for all. And make sure that you post the "after" shots of the watch as well as these "before" ones :)

Mark

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE