The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: WOW!! Zodiac (Poor Man's Cal 12 Carrera) is Super Rare!

: That brings up a general Heuer/poor mans Heuer question that I had.
: Do we have any idea what sort of numbers that were made in the
: different model ranges? Are they in the hundreds, thousands,
: tens of thousands? I know that the Monaco wasn't a big seller
: but what about some of others? What about compared to some of
: the other brands like Omega, Rolex, Breitling etc…… just
: curious?

Best guess would be only the Autavia and Carrera are in tens of thousands, the majority of the others in the thousands with some of the rarest watches only making the hundreds. As far as the so-called Poor Man's, it's really not clear - the rebadging was a bit of a change in policy compared to Heuer typically keeping the budget ranges in house in previous generations. For something like your Zodiac, I'd say it was a rather small amount compared to the pretty popular and big-selling Heuer-badged version. If I had to put a number on it, I'd still avoid the issue a bit and say it was significantly less than 1 in 10.

We know the majority of Heuer's business were in the stopwatches; Jack Heuer gave a figure of 1 chronograph for every 20 stopwatches at the Heuer collector's summit, if I remember correctly from the reports. Heuer's total annual volume, even with the timers, was less than Rolex's (estimated) volume for example. So I'd say watch production at Heuer was always less than Omega, Rolex and Breitling, even during their peak.

But worth remembering we always deal with hearsay, estimates and plain old guesses when we talk volumes, they tended never to make those a matter of public record. Fairly safe ground just to say Heuer's watch production was on the low side compared to the other three you mention though.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE