The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Different Collectors; Different Values
In Response To: replay to Jeff and Stewart ()

Very interesting discussion here.

My perspective (as one collector in a community of many collectors): If the Portuguese military ordered these special watches, then Heuer ordered the dials, but never assembled the watches, and some time later, someone else assembled them (with whatever hands and movements they could find), this one is not worth much to me, as a collector. Others may appreciate them more and pay more for them, but not me.

Yes, we all know the stories of the leftover dials -- Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Volvo, Champion, etc. And now people make complete watches from these leftover dials. If you buy to resell, and will not give all the information in your descriptions, then maybe the put-together watches are valuable to you. Others may value them to look at, and keep forever, in their own collections. For me, personally, the value in collecting vintage watches comes in having a watch that was made by Heuer (completed by Heuer), back in the day. Other may see it differently (and value the watches differently).

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I forget to tell an important things:
: all these "kits" where on a big box, all together,
: complete without hands. 4 different kind of dial: every watch
: got his dial ON, with caseback closed, ready for mounting.
: Correct hands, in my opinion, are 2446 last GMT.
: Some people put them together whith the hands that found...

: The seller who bought the full lot of watches is from Tamelan
: (Swiss), but I don't know if I can tell the name. What I can say
: is that a lot of vintage watch dealer buy watch and parts from
: him because he bought a lot of stoks from the company.
: My watch (got original bridge) was bought there in 1987-1988 (my
: friend don't remember well) and he got 4 different dial.
: Case got reference and serials ORIGINAL: I can post the picture in
: the afternoon.

: There are a LOT of Heuer watch put together from collectors (for
: example... 3446 tachy dial Autavia...): all them have no
: collectible value?
: Well! Please send me your pictures because I'm interessed to buy
: them...
: Many people "put together" 1563 tropical dial... we all
: know... but none think it has no collectible value.

: PS
: Stewart, Jeff: I'm interessed to know your opinion on my
: Silverstone Lemania dial comparison... ;-)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE