The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Different Collectors; Different Values

: Very interesting discussion here.

: My perspective (as one collector in a community of many
: collectors): If the Portuguese military ordered these special
: watches, then Heuer ordered the dials, but never assembled the
: watches, and some time later, someone else assembled them (with
: whatever hands and movements they could find), this one is not
: worth much to me, as a collector. Others may appreciate them
: more and pay more for them, but not me.

: Yes, we all know the stories of the leftover dials -- Indianapolis
: Motor Speedway, Volvo, Champion, etc. And now people make
: complete watches from these leftover dials. If you buy to
: resell, and will not give all the information in your
: descriptions, then maybe the put-together watches are valuable
: to you. Others may value them to look at, and keep forever, in
: their own collections. For me, personally, the value in
: collecting vintage watches comes in having a watch that was made
: by Heuer (completed by Heuer), back in the day. Other may see it
: differently (and value the watches differently).

: Jeff

: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

:

Military watches fall into a few categories, the most collectable and expensive are those that were selected or designed, procured, stamped and issued.
As far as I can see these are ones prepared (under instruction) but never finalised.

For me, as a small military watch collector, they would not hold much value as to have a working watch you will need to add ad-hoc hands, they were not actually issued and are not marked up, so have no military history associated with them. There exact provenance is a cloudy area also, it would seem.

Strangely though, other prototypes like the Cal 12 bund that never was or the GIGN Zenith would be far more valuable I think as at least the watch was complete (and completed by the manufacturer).

So for others I could see why they would see an attraction with this particular one(s), just not me personally.

'one man, one hat' as we used to say.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE