The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Fangio's Carrera ? ? ?

I spotted this print ad for the new Carrera earlier today, and thought that it was kind of interesting.

The caption of the ad, at the bottom left, is "Fangio and His Carrera Tachymeter Chronograph".

Wanting to explore this Fangio / Carrera connection, I went to the TAG-Heuer website, where I found the following description of Fangio, as the "Ambassador" of the new Carrera:

What are TAG Heuer ambassadors made of? Forget the usual clichés - grit, self-possession, determination and so on - the qualities that makes these people extraordinary cannot be satisfactorily translated into dictionary terms. It's not that these qualities are indescribable. It's just that the description pales compared to the performance.

The Argentinian Juan-Emanuel Fangio, five times Formula 1 world champion, competed in every type of motor racing event and holds the all time record for the number of championship titles. This particularly gifted and daring driver arrived in Europe in 1948 and just one year later had won seven Grands Prix at the wheel of a Maserati ! In 1953 he drove a Lancia to victory in the Carrera Panamericana, an exhausting marathon for both cars and drivers. Extending over more than 3000 km. in Mexico, the race was a perfect fit with the wild frontiers of the new continent.

As a tribute to this epic race and the great Argentinian champion, TAG Heuer launched the "Carrera", in 1964. It quickly became the brand's flagship model. With its sporty look, its essentially functional nature and the understated elegance of its design, it remains a landmark in the company's history.

The new Carrera, powered by the Valjoux 7750 movement, will be available with either a black or silver dial.

So what do "we" think of this connection drawn between Fangio, the Carrera Panamericana road race, the original Carrera chronograph and this new chronograph? Do we "buy it"?

I am interested to see how our readers react to the new chronograph and the ad campaign.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE