The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: What Shall We Do About the Scammers?

Hello folks,

Well, I understand that many think it would be best to demand pictures as mandatory to offer FS here ....
but I don't agree.
Sure, pictures certainly help to give some assurance, but they are not sufficient and are of much less importance than trust and knowledge.
What I mean is, why should I be more willing to buy from someone I don't know, or even never heard of, but offers some pics of a watch, than from somebody I know or at least have read or heard that he or she has a good, or even excellent reputation when no pics are shown yet ??
Apart from the fact that I still haven't learned to upload photos here ... OK :-/ .... let's imagine I read a FS offer from a fellow member I know I can trust, but there are no pics available instantly ... why should I doubt (t)his offer because of missing pics.
I could ask for pics in my response. Just pics, no extra wishes ....
If I would not know the seller, then I could ask for "references" and/or if he or she would be so kind to set a certain time, in order to have some reasonable assurance.

I may stand quite single with this opinion ... may well be ... but nevertheless feel it should be said.

Of course I hate the fact that these scammer-people try to fool us as much as most of us do, at least I assume. I wouldn't mind seeing them hanging upside down tied to their testicles ...given some time to think about what they do.
But in this excellent community of fellows and mates warning and helping each other so well, I believe that most of us are aware of how to stay away from this scum.
Demanding too much here would seem like some hyperreaction or "actionism" to me.
Let's trust or sensitive common senses, and those we know.

Best to all of you honest and serious folks here - Cheers !
Salud,
Olaf

P.S.: Before rules might suddenly change here .... I contemplate selling an excellent looking 1960s Eberhard & Co. Scafograf with an extraordinarily beautiful bezel and the same case as an Omega Seamaster 300 to a serious buyer who is willing and able to make me a good offer, far from any low-ball ... I can offer plenty of excellent references on both sides of the Atlantic, and ... pictures on request. For anybody who doesn't know me or anybody who does ... I can set the hands to any time you wish.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE