The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: What Shall We Do About the Scammers?

Hello all. Let me preface my remarks by saying I am very new to this forum. Have made 3 seperate purchases within the last year but fewer posts. I actually do not think you should put a pic as a requirement to sell a watch on the forum. Myself, I would never purchase a watch from a seller without at pic on the seller's very first sale post unless I knew them from being very well-known on this site. But I think when we would require a seller to post a pic then that is one more hurdle overcome by the scammer. In one step it legitimizes (not completely I understand) the scammers post. Yes, it makes the scammer take an additional step to make the post but worse, it might make a new person to the forum less wary about that particular post because it has passed our requirement to sell a watch. I think the less we are able to "give" scammers in the way of feedback of how they can overcome buyer's suspicions the better.

Our greatest asset is the community. Members calling out these scammers will always be our greatest line of defense. I would highly advise, in my limited experience, for newer members like myself to ask for additional pics, ask for a movement shot, ask for another member to give their feedback on the piece, and ask for references. Anyways, thanks for reading. Cheers! Bill

: This is much more important than you experienced collectors may
: realise. I am new to this, and this forum was my place of
: relative safety. It had been recommended by a couple of friends
: and so far all I have met have expressed nothing but kindly
: benevolence onwards me with a lot of patience thrown in. I have
: been really touched by the camaraderie and help that some have
: given.

: I can only imagine how awful it would feel to be conned here as a
: novice to buying/selling such high value items. This would be
: very destructive.

: I particularly am reassured by those who have
: "references" Is there any way to have this done
: formally? Could a part of the drum be set aside for this? maybe
: after buying or selling we could rate each other with a
: star/percentage system a bit like on eBay?

: Some forums also have the number of posts made listed under the
: name-this makes it easy to recognise a scammer who can really
: only do one cheat before moving on. The problem is the number of
: lurker scammers who email after a WTB advert without any
: footprint on the forum. Do email addresses need to be so
: visible? Could a private message (PM) be sent instead to a
: WTB/FS?

: Just a few thoughts from a new person.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE