The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

C'mon Rick! {:-)) The inherent >>>

problem here, is that Rolex 'does' in fact make a very good watch. At least I thought so until I read a review of the Explorer movement from TZ Classics on these very pages. The generality of the forgoing notwithstanding, a 'lot' of watch manufacturers make a very good product.

Imitation has always been the sincerest form of flattery. If you're old enough to remember, the Rolex craze didn't really take off until the late '70's, when the President started to be replicated. Since then, this debate continues and will "never" be put to rest.

Does Rolex 'really' make a better watch than Omega? No! In the new issue of WatchTime, there is no mention under technical innovation of a Rolex, when they compared 20 watches in running for the watch of the year. There is mention however, of the coaxial escapement of the Omega which the Aqua Terra has.

Having said that, Rolex does not make as good a product as Patek or Roger DuBuis. For the most part (not all!!), Rolex is a symbol of "I have arrived." Is there anything wrong with that? Well, it depends. It depends on who you hang with. Showing off, is not a bad thing in my opinion. I was a show off as a kid, and I continue to a certain extent to be a show off, but I do not own a Rolex. Why? Because they do not make a product so superior, that it justifies the price, particularly in the entry level models, such as the Airking.

Most WIS's know this. They also know that Rolex makes a VERy good product. But they also know that you don't have to own one in order to be a WIS. People in the know, know watches. I would go so far as to suggest that 'most' Rolex owners have never heard of Patek or DuBuis, but Omega, or Breitling etc. owners, have.

Now I've just spent multiple paragraphs stating what has 'always' been said here. Buy the one you really want. Personally for quality and value, I'd pick the Aqua Terra. It's a beautiful watch for the money.

Regards,

Dave

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE