The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: TAG-Heuer 2010: Suggestions for Mr. Babin

Wow indeed. I am impressed and pleased that Jean-Cristophe has taken the time to come and visit us here, and congratulations to Jeff for making such an impression as to encourage him to do so.

As for suggestions, for me the most successful re-editions are those that have been inspired by past models rather than seeking to slavishly recreate them precisely. (That said, I would probably consider buying a Jeff Stein special edition AS LONG AS it had a paintless wonder dial finish :) ).

My Heuer collection stops and starts with Carreras, so that's what I'd most like to see, though I know the Carrera is by far the best represented currently so some of the others should have their chance too. Much as Chuck might malign them for not being a "whole" chrono, I do like 2 register chronos - I have a 1964 Jack Heuer limited edition Tag-Heuer and one of the mother-of-pearl dialled two registers as well and think these are wholly successful, watches that manage to look both modern and classic at once. I do have a 510.511 as well, so I can see the benefit of having more dials!

Materials and dial finishes are something that interests me a lot. The titanium RS2 Grand Carrera that Jeff linked to from the museum launch, for example, is a very interesting looking watch not least because of that case material. Well suited to a tool watch. Maybe less classic for a tool watch is red/rose gold, which I thought suited the Autavia re-edition very well - I've not seen a rose gold Carrera 360 in the flesh to know how it worked for that watch. The blue and charcoal dials of some of the mid-70s Carreras I always find to be attractive and distinctive and not something often seen in modern watches where the dials tend to be plainer. And yet they still had good visibility.

After the work with DD to mount the crown on the left for the Autavia re-edition, maybe an homage to the Cal 15 could be in order too. Always going to be the bridesmaid after the Cal 11 had the distinction of being the first, it nonetheless made for some interesting layouts - the black and red Cal 15 Monza, in particular, I always thought was a fine-looking, distinctive watch.

Messages In This Thread

OTD -- 5th Anniversary / Feb. 12th / Scan or Chat
Re: OTD -- 5th Anniversary / Feb. 12th / Scan or C
Kudos to Jeff and Welcome to Mr. Babin.
Re: Kudos to Jeff and Welcome to Mr. Babin.
As important as 12 Feb is, 10/11 March is moreso…
Re: OTD -- 5th Anniversary / Feb. 12th / Scan or C
Dear Mr Babin....
a question regarding tag heuer & the lemania5100
Re: a question regarding tag heuer & the lemania51
Swatch Group is not held in high esteem for that decision...
Welcome, M. Babin
2010 - Wish! *PIC*
Chuck REBOOTED: Chuck's thoughts in a more concise form...
Re: Chuck REBOOTED: Chuck's thoughts in a more con
PVD is certainly in the firm's blood!
I agree on PVD
Here are some more PVD Heuer Lots of Pics
TAG Heuer 2010
Re: TAG Heuer 2010
Re: TAG Heuer 2010
Bonjour Mr.Babin !!!
Re: Bonjour Mr.Babin !!!
Original Chronomatic...
If You Have Caliber 12 Movements, We Have Ideas !!
Terrific job Abel.
TAG-Heuer 2010: Rally-Master Pair & Black Monaco
Re: TAG-Heuer 2010: Rally-Master Pair & Black Mona
Welcome Jean-Christophe Welcome.
Re: Welcome Jean-Christophe Welcome.
My pleasure, Jean-Christophe
Greetings Jean-Christophe!! *PIC*
Re: Greetings Jean-Christophe!!
Welcome aboard Jean-Christophe
Re: Welcome aboard Jean-Christophe
Salut Jean-Christophe!
Re: Salut Jean-Christophe!
WOW! This ROCKS! Four Ideas & Additional Thoughts…
WOW!
TAG-Heuer 2010: Suggestions for Mr. Babin
¿malign? I have to step in here and clarify...
Re: ¿malign? I have to step in here and clarify...
TAG-Heuer 2010: A Suggestion
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE