The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: wow keep cool
In Response To: wow keep cool ()

Chuck Maddox was a very bright man; I wish I'd known him. After an exhausting -- if not exhaustive -- search for info on my Autavia, the details of which are probably too boring and too common to the experiences of others in this forum to bother to put down. Suffice to say, this forum, and the works Chuck Maddox have left, have been invaluable, and this search would have taken weeks, instead of hours. What I'm most thankful to Mr. Maddox for, however, are some words of wisdom he left the horology community in general, and in particular, those interested in nailing down what Heuer they own:

"Heuer during this epoch ['60s - early '70s] often produced watches with little rhyme or reason. Actually, that's a bit incorrect, Heuer during most epochs often produced watches with little rhyme or reason, and the 1960's were certainly no exception. It seems that if they could produce a certain model and thought they could sell it, they did produce it. So one sees some particularly weird Carreras floating around... For they were, well, odd times. So often it is difficult to tell for certain if a certain hand is proper or not."

And so it proved for me. The telling (and confusing) details on my watch are the MH bezel, the red sweep second hand that seems to belong on a Carrera, the red flashes on the dial at each hour mark, the fluted stopwatch buttons. What I wanted to find, of course, was an image of an Autavia just like mine in all those details. After sifting through hundreds of images here, at Maddox's site, and all over the net via Google Images, I have found what I sought, with one niggling question left -- the exact date this watch was produced. Through reference to many Heuer catalogs posted on this site and elsewhere, I know that my Autavia was built sometime between 1967 and 1971 (inclusive). Here are its specs:

Autavia, Three-Register, Manual Wind
2446 C series, choice of bezels (MH or T) (mine is a 2446 MH -- minute/hour) snap-back case; angled lugs; different bezels for 1st/2nd executions

Dial colors: Black/White

Movement: 72 Valjoux

Crystal: Plastic

Registers/date: three/12 hrs/no date

Catalog Dates: c68, 70/71

And on the website of a store called Wannabuyawatch, on Melrose in LA, I found this image of a watch they sold:

and, again, here's mine:

I'd still like to know the exact age, and I should have had my watchmaker check between the lugs while he was servicing it -- guess I'm going to have to figure out how to get the band off.

At any rate, I know a LOT more than I did when I first posted, and had the satisfaction of digging out myself.

Peace

Bart

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE