The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I found the serial number
In Response To: Re: No more info? ()

Mark -- With great trepidation, and working inside one of those "shoebox"-sized plastic tubs, lined and covered with plastic "cling wrap" and working through a cut in the middle of the wrap* -- because I *AM* one of the world's premier klutzes -- I managed to get the band off at the lug ends without losing either of the spring bars! Engraved at the 6 O'Clock edge of the case is "2446C." At the 12 O'Clock end is the serial number "145442." Hope this adds to your fund of knowledge. Judging by this S/N, what do you think was the date of manufacture?

Thanks again

Bart

* I got this idea from the way they used to work plutonium when I was an experimental machinist at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico -- only they used lead-lined gloves and a lead-crystal viewing window. Working plutonium was strictly a volunteer task for extra -- quite a bit extra, IIRC -- pay, and you could only work on the plute rigs 15 minutes a day. I never volunteered!

: One thing we can do for you is try and narrow the year of
: production down if you can get the serial number from between
: the lugs. We don't have Heuer records to go on, but we're
: putting together as many serials as we can, particularly where
: we have good details for when the watch was purchased and I
: think we have a fairly good idea now - though it gets sketchier
: the earlier we go.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE