The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Best Guess = Late 1969 / Early 1970
In Response To: I found the serial number ()

Well done!! Glad to hear that both watch and owner survived this procedure.

We have seen Autavias with 144xxx serial numbers, with the date 3/69 stamped in the bracelet (meaning that they date from the third quarter of 1969). This would suggest that yours must be from this same period -- late 1969, maybe early 1970.

Without reviewing all the messages in this thread, let me ask you what date numbers are stamped in your bracelet? This might tell us the exact period when this one emerged from the factory.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mark -- With great trepidation, and working inside one of those "shoebox"-sized plastic tubs, lined and covered with plastic "cling wrap" and working through a cut in the middle of the wrap* -- because I *AM* one of the world's premier klutzes -- I managed to get the band off at the lug ends without losing either of the spring bars! Engraved at the 6 O'Clock edge of the case is "2446C." At the 12 O'Clock end is the serial number "145442." Hope this adds to your fund of knowledge. Judging by this S/N, what do you think was the date of manufacture?

Thanks again

Bart

: * I got this idea from the way they used to work plutonium when I was an experimental machinist at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico -- only they used lead-lined gloves and a lead-crystal viewing window. Working plutonium was strictly a volunteer task for extra -- quite a bit extra, IIRC -- pay, and you could only work on the plute rigs 15 minutes a day. I never volunteered!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE