The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The Debate (in My Mind) . . . Present by Dials or Hands?

I had a debate, at least in my mind, about whether to show certain executions of the Carreras based primarily on the execution of the dial or on the execution of the hands. We see later dials with earlier hands and we see earlier dials with later hands . . . there are scenarios to explain both variations. In the end, I go with the dial, as a more fundamental, permanent element of the watch.

I also thought about the Tachy rings, but these seem to be the least "permanent" of all . . . easily and often replaced. We also have the possibility that Heuer was using "anything with anything", in certain periods, so it all becomes a bit of a jumble.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++

: Even the Tachy bezels have a transitional period though. While the
: later scale was never used ex-factory on the early watches, they
: do co-exist for some time once the small Tachy version has been
: introduced. Even one of the catalogues proudly shows a line-up
: of watches with a haphazard, scatter-gun approach to which bezel
: is used.

: It was something we discussed when working on the table -
: personally, I see it as one indicating factor but I wouldn't use
: it as the sole diagnostic on a watch. Fortunately, there are
: other things we can check too, as well as the holistic check for
: consistency.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE