The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Seamaster Pro Chronometer vs. Quartz

Hello all:

I'm new to this forum and am very fascinated by this site and the enthusiam over watches. I have had a thing for watches for some time now. I own about six watches, all different styles to suit my wardrobe. All of them have been swiss quart watches. But as the time has passed, I found that a few were running out of battery. The thought of changing batteries on all these watches despairs me. Therefore, I thought how great it would be if I purchased an a watch that is different in movement from all my other watches and that would never require me to change battery.

My number one choice was the Seamaster Pro midsize 2551.80. I just purchased it today and am very excited. I had done some research on this watch through various sites, this one being the most informative. However, I have read on some FAQs linked through this site that an automatic is not as accurate, can't take the beating and requires special care over a quartz. My concern is that I rotate my watches and that means that if I let this Omega sit for a few days I would have to wind it, set it, and in turn produce wear on the gaskets, crown, movement and whatever else I may not know about. I really want to actually have this watch as my everyday-wear watch but am concern that it will take too much abuse. I rotate my watches therefore all of them are practically in new condition. I don't want this precious Omega to take the beating of everyday life. My question really is this: If I rotate this Omega with the other watches, will the automatic movement present a challenge for me? If I decide to wear it everyday and wear the others occasionally, and take very good care of it, will it give me many, many years of enjoyment of wearing such a piece? What about all those things they say about an automatic being more fragile and requiring more maintenance than a quartz? If I wear it everyday, I would not have to wind it right? Any other concerns I should have with an automatic? (This being my first one). I really want to keep this watch, but am having second thoughts about getting the quartz version.

Please I need as much input as possible from those who have had similar concerns as mine. Thank you so much. I know this message has been long, but I thought I should explain my whole situation. I value any and all input. Thank you very much, again.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE