The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Seamaster Pro Chronometer vs. Quartz

I wouldn't worry about it being delicate. In almost twenty years of rough wear on automatic watches I've never had one damaged internally. I've never heard of one stopping due to shock. Of course the case and crystal can get pretty banged up whether its a quartz or auto.

Automatic watches are meant to be worn everyday. If you do that they should never need manual winding. If you don't wear one for a couple of days it will need to be wound and reset, but thats not a big deal. You would have to shake it for hours to fully wind it. Just unscrew the crown, give it a few winds and put it on, or give 30 winds and put it back in the drawer.

A well made watch should offer very little resistance when being wound, but you should feel it if you know what to look for. If you want to be sure, hold it to your ear while winding, you should hear it. I don't know how to describe the sound, its not a ticking, its more like a buzzing.

I've always wound a new one a bit and put it on and worn it. I understand from this forum that there is a break in period where the watch takes some time to settle down to a constant rate, but I don't check the time that closely. I check mine against the internet clock every week or so and set it then. I don't keep a record or even pay much attention to how far out it is unless it seems inordinate, say more than a minute off in a week's time. Face it, none of us need that much accuracy, if we did we'd all be wearing quartz watches. Mechanical watches are not as accurate as quartz, but part of the allure of a mechanical chronometer is knowing how difficult it is to design and build an extremely accurate mechanical time piece.

The only golden rules for automatics that I can think of:

1. Don't go swimming with the crown unscrewed.
2. Don't set the watch near a strong magnetic field. (don't wear it while using a tape degausser)
3. Enjoy it. Pick up and read some books on mechanical time pieces.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE