The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: What should I do between Omega & Rolex?

Brent,

: I have seen, it looks as though the inverted triangle at the
: top of the bezel doesn't line up with the 12 hour marker.
: Does anyone else see this? I have noticed this on every
: Seamaster I have ever looked at.

Well, there is a certain mechanism involved in the bezel, some sort of suspension system. The markers on the bezel of the regular steel Seamaster are properly set. Point. However, the suspension system leaves some "air". When you turn the bezel and come to the 12 o'clock position you feel that you can bend the bezel back a little or forth before the next klick, so that it can be matched to 100% with the markers.

On my 150th edition the situation is almost the same, although I have to admit that there are more numbers on the bezel that do not properly match the tritium markers on the dial. I am especially pissed (sorry) since I paid a comparable amount of money as I would have for a Sub. So I expect the full treatment.

IMHO the overall QC (Quality Check) of Rolex is superior. I wish someone of Omega would invide me to sing my song, but then again there is more.

The regular steel Seamaster costs in Germany about half the price the Submariner costs. The Omega 1120 caliber used can compete against the Rolex. As you admited, the Seamaster is more rigid appearing and gives you a "more value feedback". The looks simply kill the Sub. The Rolex looks more like a mashine in todays world than the latest sports watch of the next Millenium (the Rolex has this typical 60ty/70ty edgy design IMHO).

I hate the date-lens the Sub/Date has, I hate that the glass is higher than the bezel, the Rolex clasp is by comparison a joke and the extra features of the Seamaster, the helium escape valve and the diver clasp extension, do the rest to make it my favorite.

It almost seems like the
: racheting mechanism should be re-adjusted so it clicks to
: the proper spot at the 12 marker.

Actually, I believe this can be done for a "hard case". I believe the bezel is a two piece thing.

The closest to
: "12" that I have been able to see, is either to
: the right "a hair", or to the left "a
: hair." This is my ONLY concern though.

Your only concern..... Well, get one asap, get it adjusted to your needs (if needed) and if the prices are the same in your country, buy for the money you saved the small one too for your girlfriend ;-).

Regards, Andreas

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE