The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Some real questions to Sam ?

Sam,
thanks for the detailed explanations, although they have not really convinced me that I would have a real performance benefit from a Rolex caliber. On the longterm issue I really have to see how long my Omega Seamaster holds accuracy for comparison!.

: I have to say that even though we are
: discussing a sensitive subject (people's
: opinions always are), you are most cordial,
: and I thank you for it.

Cordial? Have to look that word up in my German-English dictionary on Monday, when I am back to work!.

: I will attempt to answer your Rolex movement
: vs. ETA movement question. Being in-house in
: and of its self is not the primary issue
: here (not if your not collecting). There are
: four places where the 31X5 Rolex movement is
: a superior machine.

Before I ask you some questions please have in mind that Omega uses the ETA as a basis, so we have to compare to the 1120 Omega caliber, not just the ETA 2892-A2!.

Question 1
==========
Is that mashine (caliber 31X5) also built into the Seadweller I am looking at ?. This would also be good to know since I compared the Seamaster to a Submariner, so I would also have to know, if all you just said on the 31X5 is also valid for the Sub ?. Thanks.

: 1) The Rolex movement is one of the only
: movements made today(none under $50,000)
: with a Berguet hairspring. This is a very
: expensive and complex adjustable system that
: makes the Rolex line of 31X5 movements the
: most adjustable movements around for under
: $100,000. Any watch can be regulated to COSC
: standards, it's a Rolex that can hold that
: for a prolonged period of time, primarily
: due to the Breguet Hairspring.

Q 2
===
What is the performance difference between the Brequet and the flatspiral Nivarox 1 used in the Caliber 1120 Omega uses in the Seamaster ?. It also says "Etachon"-fine-adjustment on the 1120 caliber. How is that less adjustable than the Brequet ?.
Thanks.

: 2) the current 31 Jeweled movement compared
: with the majority of ETA (21-25 Jewel)
: movements found in Omega watches has a much
: lower friction level, which results in a
: longer life on the parts. The number of
: jewels DOES matter and only matters in that
: the movement is more fluid and therefore
: provides less load on the spring.

Well, this might be true, but I guess it gurantees nothing. This I mean refering to my former post that I also know people who had proplems with Rolex.
There are 31 jewels on all date featuring calibers I guess, the 3135 from Rolex that is ?. So it's in the Sub with Date (Sub without date has "only" 27 jewels I believe) and in the GMT Master II e.g.
Oh I see. Patek has a 35 stone movement. So if you are right than the Patek should better the Rolex movement ?.

: 3) Rolex uses the more expensive and superior
: Kif shock protection system for the
: escapement vs. the Icabolic shock absorption
: system found on ETA movements. This is a
: very important issue that ties to the Rolex
: durability reputation.

Q 3
===
What is the performance difference between the Kif Shock Rolex uses and the Incabloc system the 1120 from Omega features ?. Is it thicker, offers better suspension ?.

: 4) Although not important to many. Rolex does a
: pretty good job at decorating their
: movements (not to the level of a Lange,
: Audemars, or Patek) which is a result of a
: higher level of quality control that found
: in most ETA watches. The few ETA movements
: that are used in higher line watches like
: IWC and Ulysse Nardin for example are
: re-manufactured and "Decorated" by
: the buying company. To Omega's credit, the
: new Co-Axial movement is very well decorated
: but this is no ordinary Omega.

Well, the 1120 caliber Omega uses in my Seamaster is also refined (although not "the beauty"). It got the Geneve decoration cut (like so many calibers have of so many other brands), it also lists in German: "rohdiniert, Rotor angliert, Platine perliert ". Whatever that means in english and whatever that means in terms of actual refinements?. I don't know. It also says that it got another bridge for holding smaller ball-bearings and that it got, as you mentioned, two more jewels for the spring house.

: Finally, I ask you: Call any Rolex dealer
: (especially the ones who sell Omega) and ask
: them which brand has a better availability
: of spare parts? This is important since all
: mechanical watches eventually need parts.
: Rolex is second to none when it comes to
: providing spare parts.

Well, maybe for your classics. I don't know.
Q 4
====
I read somewhere recently that Rolex e.g. doesn't offer spare parts to everyone. Omega was supposed to offer spare parts also to everybody inquiring ?. So could I call Rolex and get my wanted Seadweller parts?.

BTW: Should I ever need spare parts for a Rolex ? ;-), just kidding.

: If you're not convinced, then I think we just
: have to agree to disagree

No, Sam we agree, except about my taste ;-).

Hope you can answer my questions or anybody else.
It would be great to have some straight technical answers without "it is said..." quotes.

Cheers,
Andreas

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE