The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: there is great horological value in..

: having an "in-house" movement watch,
: You are hard pressed to find a watch which
: is collectable that isn't in-house.

The reason for my opinion (just to make myself clear) is that you cannot name me a benefit I would actually have from an inhouse caliber. Which on is there?.
As far as I know in today's world we live in Rolex doesn't outperform other watches with their movements. They DO NOT say, yes we are COSC, but we also give you +/-2 seconds to better the specs or the ones other brands list. Problems with Rolex have also destroyed their myth of endless reliability, which is never existent btw and they do not have a 100% perfect score. So please help me find a reason what will make me cherish a Rolex inhouse movement too?. I see things to some degree more from a scientist side. What you cannot measure doesn't exist. This is especially true in watch making. Some people just need to have a certain brand and name to feel inside really at rest. And you know what, I give you that right for sure, nothing more easy than that.

: Antiquioum which sells more watches at
: auction ranks Patek Phillepe and Rolex as
: number 1 and 2 respectively and Omega isn't
: even in their top 10 of collectable brands.
: They are simply more collectable. That might
: not matter to you, but most watch collectors
: take this into account.

Yes, I really don't care and I just look at today's watches.

We simply don't see
: watches in the same way, you and I, and
: that's OK. The fact that you like the ladies
: Omega with a quartz movement more than a
: mechanical watch tells me we are on
: different wavelengths. To each his own.

WAIT A MINUTE..... I said automatic. Omega normally builds a "tiny" and a "midsize-ladysize" constellation. If the "midsize-ladysize" with automatic movement ("my choice", caliber "2500" I believe) isn't available in full gold then I wouldn't buy it. I hate quartz and I would always buy for so much money an automatic. Always. So please read carefully.

: Finally, I will not try to convince you to like
: the Daytona since I too don't find it all
: that great (although the free market
: disagrees with the both of us). A $5200 SS
: model sell for between $8000-$15000
: depending on where in the world you are. I
: will however remind you that opinions aside,
: a $3500 Omega turns into a $1500 Omega the
: minute you leave the (trust me, I learned
: this the hardway with a Seamaster Pro), a
: $3500 Rolex barely takes a depreciation
: (especially if held over a long time).

Well, what can I add, I guess nothing....oh yes, did I say that I like the Seamaster betther than a.....but that I also might buy a..... ;-)

Cheers,
Andreas

: Happy new year and keep an open mind.

Same to you!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE