The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

my final thoughts on this subject....
In Response To: Re: Well said Mr. Ziglar.... ()

: Sam,
: yes, Derek obviously speaks english very well.
: He had some nice words on me, although I
: know that my writing is sonetimes a little
: plain ;-).

Your English is fine, where are you from anyway?

: Don't let "LadySUB" wait or the money
: for the next Rolex might be in trouble :-),
: trust me, here I know what I am talking
: about.

We are in total agreement here.

: No, GMT is as you said before 31, not 35. Patek
: is 35.

I stand corrected on the 3185 (when I type faster than I think, I say things I don't mean).

As for jewels! The number of Jewels BY IT'S SELF is not a mark of quality....where they are used is what's important. Any Watch with more than 23 Jewels (which I think the ETA 2892 is 23) is no longer jeweled using standard improvements. Now you have additional cap jewels that are used in areas that are, if you will, extra and always helpful in smoothing the operation.

: Patek is superior, aha !. To be honest as said
: before I would not say such phrases myself,
: put look more on a type level. Patek also
: manufacturs "just" 27 jewels
: "drives". So as you said 31 of the
: Rolex should better this particular Patek
: (Caliber 240Q e.g.), shouldn't it ? ;-).

Not all Patek are superior to Rolex, they may be better decorated and hand assembled but the Patek movements I'm talking about cost in the tens of thousands and upward of a $100,000. As a rule though, Patek makes more complicated watches and that has a horological value.

Try to understand: If we're talking only about performance here, there are many areas where the Seamaster is a comprable watch with the Sub or SD, but we are talking about Swiss watches that are know for heritage and hand workmanship.

To take your point to it's end, we might aswell all wear Casio digital divers watches because they are more accurate than a mechanical watch and are just as pressure proof. Or better yet, Rovin Dino makes a $1295 watch with an ETA movement that is pressure tested to 9000Meters....I don't care? It looks stupid and is mass produced and has a mass produced movement. There is something to be said about old fashion watches with old fashion technology.

Finally, All I can tell you is the Breguet Hairspring is superior to the flat spring because it allows the watch to keep time better for a longer period of time. This is why ETA watches have to be calibrated more often to stay with in COSC guidlines.

I have said all that I can say.... Happy New Year and if you like Omega more than Rolex, that's fine with me.

Sam

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE