The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

What provoked this lecture?

Re: Bad service on new watch update Posted By:
Peter Date: 11/29/07 22:01:51 GMT In Response To: Bad service on new watch update (jc)

Not because I am trying to be a thorn here, but because of my quest for objectivity,

¿Quest? Oh joy!

I would like everyone to remember this next time the Rolex Bashing Bandwagon starts up again.

Um, pardon me, but would you mind terribly pointing out where in this thread, even in this forum, where folks have been jumping on any sort of “Rolex Bashing Bandwagon” to use your phraseology?

I had sent a Rolex Submariner 16610 watch in for an overhaul after 10 years of wear, and it came back..........PERFECT.

I'm happy for you. I bought a Speedmaster Mark II Professional for $115 from a Pawnshop, wore it for well over 15 years without any servicing and it kept better that +/- 1 second per 2-3 days the entire time while it wasn't being serviced and it was my beater watch. So 10 years of use without service doesn't especially impress me much.

Not a single scratch, ding, and it looked absolutely BRAND NEW.

What did it cost you? How long did it take?

Before you all get mad at me for such blasphemy, I own 5 Omegas, including 3 Seamaster Professionals, and have also had disappointing service experiences with them.

I and many other people have been posting extensively about Omega's sorry state of affairs when it comes to the repair/service channel [especially with the former Lancaster PA facility] for years. I do not recall any discussion about Rolex's service/repair channel here in this forum.

You may pay more for a Rolex, but they are completely anal about how their watches go back to the customer after service, either routine, or otherwise.

I've heard [so I do not know first hand] that Rolex isn't above replacing vintage dials with modern equivelents [not giving owners the option to leave the originality of the watch alone]. Again, I do not know that to be true, but I've heard that. I'd like to know if that's the case.

Omega typically [unless they are told otherwise] will do the same thing, but if you send a letter to them asking them to retain the original parts they usually do to the best of their ability. At least Bienne [The mothership] usually does.

Not to hijack this thread, but I would be interested to see if others have had bad service experiences LIKE THIS ONE (i.e., watch coming back scratched, dinged, lint under crystal, etc.) with Rolex.

Well frankly, to my knowledge except for you no one has so much as typed the word "Rolex" since the 5th of this month, and that's the only instance of Rolex even being mentioned this month.

You're the only one who's brought up Rolex in this forum lately.

I know some of you don't like the "arrogance" etc. of Rolex,

Let's just say that I'm sure I'm not the only person here who is wondering what in the dickens prevoked such an outburst here in this forum at this time now.

I'd genuinely would like to know what prompted your lecture.

but I haven't yet heard of stories like this one here, where the watch was blatantly abused and / or not returned in "like new" condition to the owner.

I have heard some horror stories, mostly in other forums, but as I am not much interested in Rolex's [I'm a chronograph collector and Rolex chronograph's are priced notably to high for my interest]. So as a result I haven't taken much notice of those posts as they really don't effect me any.

I'm curious what prompted your post.

Sincerely,

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.
Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE