The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: And some more comments
In Response To: Re: And some more comments ()

: That is my point. Why defend? You have a nice
: watch. Nobody is attacking it (them).

Of course, nobody outright attacks it, but ive gotten several comments from people that don't know squat about watches along the lines of "For that money, you should have just bought a Rolex" and again still more comments when I tell them the price difference, like the Rolex name alone is somehow justification for the price difference. I know I have a great watch. I don't do as much defending as I do educating people about the brand and about watches in general. Here on the forums, them's fighting words, unfortunately. And you, yourself felt the need to come here to an Omega fourm and justify the prices of Rolex by saying they have "better" service than Omega. Might not be bashing the watch, but certainly bashing the company

: Isn't that kind of what you just said in your
: last sentence? "I will continue to
: defend my Omega against any comparable
: Rolex..."

Yes, defend it does not mean that I will trash Rolex and say that the comparable Rolex is inferior. More like that they have similar qualities with vast price differences

: I don't either, but they charge a premium for
: their products. I will try to quantify in
: that I believe at least compared to the SMP
: series (excluding the PO) that Rolex Subs
: are roughly 15-20% better. Don't ask me how
: I get to that number, it is just my opinion.

Exactly, its your opinion. Hence the defensive stance I take some times. I happen to believe its not 15-20% better and certainly not 3x better(And there are several objective reviews out there comparing the watches). You followed that percentage with "don't ask me how I get to that number". I think personally that many believe that the Rolex name alone accounts for the additional percentage.

: Some of us want to keep our watches as
: heirlooms, not dispose of them like razers.

I plan to keep mine and pass them down to my children. As I said below, if I have a service problem where my watch comes back scratched, I will be disappointed, but I can replace every single part on the watch and still have many$$ left over from the original price difference. Yes it would tick me off, but I would never even think to suggest that I should have bought the Rolex because I MIGHT have had a good service experience.

: I specifically asked for similarities of
: negative experiences from Rolex in terms of
: scratched or abused watches

Again, why ask this on an Omega forum? You want customer feedback, go to the Rolex forums, as I doubt that there are enough Rolex owners here to give any kind of objective comments, and even fewer that actually post

: Not giving
: parts back is their way of controlling after
: market mods to protect the brand. I can
: respect that.
: No, it won't bother me at all, as I don't plan
: on selling the watch - again see heirloom
: comment.
: See disposable razer comment.

I too am keeping my watches as heirlooms, and it would bother me if they kept my original parts because like it or not, the people that end up with your watch may not want to keep it and a vintage watch with new parts is bad for resale.

Peter, I do appreciate your participation to this forum as it encourages and promotes watches of all kinds. I only stepped in with my two cents because you say you own both brands and don't like the brand bashing, but thats exactly what you did, bash Omega and tout Rolex. Even if it wasn't your meaning, the undertone was there and continued with the responses to my remarks, ie, the Sub is 15-20% better than the SMP.

You seem like a genuine person and probably meant nothing by your comments, but I felt it deserved a reply. Again, the "defending my brand/watch" thing, nothing personal, just a different opinion/perspective. Personally, I would be much more interested in the "negative" service experiences you had with your Omega's and how they were dealt with than the single good experience you had with Rolex. Did you ever have a positive service experience with your Omega's, and was this experience a service issue or an "Overhaul". Ive heard a lot of outstanding "overhaul" experiences with Omega too. This would have been a much more appropriate discussion for this forum.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE