The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

No Peter, you are not getting this at all. CAP ON!

Re: About rivalries and preventing flame wars... Posted By: Peter Duncan Date: 12/1/07 23:35:04 GMT

In Response To: About rivalries and preventing flame wars... (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

Ok, so the moral of the story is: don't post about Rolex's in an Omega Forum, right?

No Peter, you are not getting this at all.

There was no problem here until you brought your hurt feelings from another forum and tried to ignite a Rolex Vs. Omega FlameWar here.

That is not appreciated at all Peter.

No problem...as long as we ALL follow this rule and don't post anymore Rolex vs. Omega dumbathon threads here.

Peter, you do not dictate policy nor content here.

We here at Chronocentric/OTD have little if any input on Watch-U-Seek's policies. You have a beef with Watch-U-Seek's policies or participants? Then take it up with Watch-U-Seek moderator[s] or owner, not us here.

How about that?

Peter, the ONLY person who's started a Rolex vs. Omega dumbathon thread lately in this forum IS YOU.

How about that?

Or should it be: Don't post anything positive about Rolex on this forum? Or, certainly don't post anything positive about Rolex while juxtaposing something negative about Omega?

Peter, I and everyone else here has been very tolerant at your attempts to agitate and instigate a Rolex Vs. Omega flame war here.

Who was it who spanked your ego so soundly that you had to go to another Omega discussion forum and search for a FOUR YEAR OLD THREAD to revive for a Rolex Vs. Omega discussion?

Again, for the record, I was merely trying to point out

You were involved in a Rolex Vs. Omega thread at Watch-U-Seek, and for whatever reason, decided to resurrect a post over four years old and bring your baggage from Watch-U-Seek here.

You expect Omega owners to fawn over Rolex? You would have better luck expecting Beatles fans to fawn over the Sex Pistols [or vice-versa].

(and even apologized for hijacking the thread in advance of my comment) that these issues with Omega often get "overlooked" during the whole Rolex vs. Omega thing.

You have picked the wrong forum and the wrong person to try to peddle that overripe load pan of goods, Peter.

I, myself personally, have been raving FOR YEARS about the sorry state of problems with Omega, a number of their products and their service channel. I could point out hundreds of posts where I have done so, but I will include one here because we're in the middle of an ice storm here in Chicago, there is nothing on the Telly and I'll humor you:

A few (long overdue) thoughts along those same lines...

Is that too much Omega bashing on my part to read though Peter? If so, here is a short passage from that message about what I think Omega should do [note: I fixed five typos in the text]:
Decision: Let's fix the problems we have before we start adding new ones!

Namely we have to get these ducks of ours in a row before we venture off anywhere:

• The Repair channel must be fixed, not only in Bienne, but in those countries where is it not at least equal to or preferably superior to our competition.
  • We can't move upscale with the situation the way it is.
  • Our customer relations must be better than our competitors.
  • Our quality control, in all aspects of our operations, must be second to none.
  • We must communicate with a consistent unified voice and message.
  • We will not introduce new products that are not up to the quality, durability and reliability standards of our existing products, and our products must be equal or better those qualities when compared to our competition, too!
  • Breitling has committed to submitting every last one of their ebauches to COSC testing. Why aren't we?
  • We simply can not afford to maintain lower-volume dealers who sell off this years stock to Gray Market sellers so they can keep their AD status. It is not a luxury we can afford and we have to concentrate on dealers who move our product directly to our customers and provide a level of service consummate to our commitment of quality. We can't assure that with Gray Market sellers.
  • Before any move is made up-scale, we must have the firm, solid foundation suitable to withstand the competition at the higher level. In fact, I'd argue that all of those points I bulleted above must be accomplished if we are to maintain our existing level in the standings of great Swiss watch firms.
  • Once we have accomplished those items or at the very least have them well in hand, (and I have ideas on how to accomplish each of them) then we can entertain thoughts and plans on how to take on more commitments to a higher level of competition within the industry in our "spare time".

Do I sound like someone who thinks Omega's house is in better order than Rolex's?

If it does to you, then you are delusional. Sorry, but there it is...

Many of us on this board, ALSO post over at WUS, so it isn't like it is too hard to address both crowds on this particular board.

Peter, if you have beefs with blokes over at WUS, express them AT WUS, period. Your attempts to cross-pollinate or transplant such strife here will not tolerated. PERIOD.

It is in your best interest to not test my resolve on this matter, for this is not a winning situation for you. Think Kobayashi Maru.

However, I will stop with the comparisons, as long as we ALL live by this rule:

MODERATOR CAP ON!

You, Peter, will cease trying to ignite a Rolex Vs. Omega Flame War here. PERIOD.

You, Peter, will cease trying to bring your grievances at/from Watch-U-Seek, here. PERIOD.

You, Peter, will cease your attempts to dictate what people will or will not discuss here. PERIOD.

If you do not like any or all of that, please feel free to take it up with Jeff Stein, the owner of this site and my boss. He is free to over rule me and/or chastise me [publicly even] should he wish to.

Stop ALL of the comparisons. I am sure you will all agree with that.

Not only do I not agree with that, I do not expect anyone else here to agree with that, nor would I expect anyone to kowtow to your wishes/treats/demands.

Omegas are great. I love the 4 that I own.

This is the first thing you've typed in this post that I don't think anyone here will dispute.

Just be happy with your watches without the need to constantly compare to Rolex watches PLEASE encourage others

THE THREAD YOU REVIVED WAS FOUR FRACKING YEARS OLD, PETER! And it wasn't even about Rolex!

Who in the hell is constantly comparing? It's FOUR FLIPPING YEARS OLD ALREADY! AND ROLEX isn't even mentioned until YOUR POST!

Peter, I don't know who pushed your buttons, but you've simply gone around the bend on this.

It's utterly amazing how you have turned a thread where people were complaining about Omega Service into an imagined Rolex Vs. Omega Flame war.

This is not acceptable in this forum, Peter. This is your notice.

(even on WUS) to knock off the whole "Rolex's aren't worth it, are over marketed, have inferior movements, and are made by evil aliens from outer space who kidnapped innocent Omega owners and converted them into Rolex worker drones."

If people feel that way, that is their prerogative, regardless of your feelings about it. They can express those fellings, regardless of your feelings about it, as long as they participate within the guidelines of the forum they are expressing those feelings. If they are irrational about that sort of thing it really reflects more on them than on anyone with an association with Rolex.

If that is not satisfactory to you, then you may wish to move to Cuba or North Korea or some other localé which isn't as open-minded about free speech.

That is all for me on this topic.

If you say so.

I expect you to cease the actions I specified above in your future participation here.

Failure to do so, will have consequences.

This is your notice.

If you disagree, take it up with Jeff Stein in a private email to him directly [please feel free to CC me should you decide to do so]. Jeff will forward it to me in either instance.

As of this point, this matter is closed.

MODERATOR CAP OFF!

I have spent far too many hours today [and the the past few days] on this and other issues. It's really in your best interest to let things be as they are. But the choice is yours. I'll react as I have stated I will.

END MESSAGE

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE