The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Amongst the Carreras

I see some unexpected results amongst the Carreras. I suspect, as Ryan says in his reply, that some buyers were not overly familiar with Heuers.

I also think at least one of the bidders might have been filling some holes in a collection. Why else would a 73453 made 2000 € to an 1153's 1500 €, with both in comparable condition and on GF bracelets. Although I note that the estimate range was actually higher for the manual than the automatic too - this doesn't reflect the market, where the Cal 11/12 commands a premium over the 773x models.

Why did a ropey Türler-branded Carrera 45 make more than a nicer 45 T? Actually, I have no answer for that one. Second party branding usually universally means a decreased value unlike the sponsored, third party branding that attracts a premium for some collectors.

Why did the 1153 N in lot 46 with its mismatched hands and strange looking lume on a strap outperform the 1153 S in lot 49 in better cosmetic order and on a GF bracelet? Dunno. Heck, even the yachting dial 1153 in lot 55 with its poor redial outdid that 1153 S - I think that might have been one of the best buys at the auction, unless there was something wrong with it in the metal that doesn't show in the photo (where I can see what is possibly an over-exuberant reluming of the hands but nothing else to concern me). Actually, looking at lot 46 again, it looks like 15% of the case material has been polished away, which is why the pushers look so out on stalks, making the price achieved all the more remarkable. Lot 52 suffers from excessive polishing too, just not to quite the same extent.

There were quite a few "pairs" like that, where the watch I would have expected to do better of the pair actually fared worse.

As to impact going forward, it clearly won't have the impact of the manufacturer-supported and very highly publicised Omegamania (I saw some of the watches on display in the front windows of KaDeWe in Berlin both before and after the sale - that sort of exposure in a major department store won't come cheap, though Omega and KaDeWe do seem to have a good relationship). Omegamania was a splash in the Omega collecting sea - the guys over at the Omega forum can tell us whether the effect has been permanent. This sale is more of a ripple - I suspect we won't be talking about it a year down the line.

Messages In This Thread

Patrizzi Auction Results: Three Simple Questions
Re: Patrizzi Auction Results: Three Simple Questions
Welcome, Ita . . . We Love the Celebrity Visits ! ! !
Re: Welcome, Ita . . . We Love the Celebrity Visits ! ! !
Creating the event, and its value
Agree About the HUGE Single Photos
Amongst the Carreras
Re: Amongst the Carreras
Yes, We Keep Hearing About the Technical Issues
I Keep Hearing About the Speed of this Auction
Re: I Keep Hearing About the Speed of this Auction
Two Daytonas: Shockers / Stars (??) of the Auction
Jeff, check out WBAW..$ followed by a "3"..... *NM*
an X File perhaps...
. . . or Maybe the Y Chronosomes
Hi Ita and welcome! 1965 impossible!
Re: Hi Ita and welcome! 1965 impossible!
Re: Hi Ita and welcome! 1965 impossible!
Lot 32: The "Last Monaco"; Sold at 5,400 Euro
Re: Concur...
Agreed: Not Even Close to Omegamania
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE