The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Guess it is truly a subjective matter

Hi Matthew and friends.

Bought a new black/black Seamaster Pro Auto a month ago...

: "First of all Rolex watches are better
: finished,

This is actually _not_ true in my own experience; my SMP has a better [more crafted] finish than either my Father's or my pal Mike's stainless steel black Subs.

: "With in terms of quality I mean the dial
: e.g.. It was pointed out that Omeaga dials
: really suck because of bad luminova
: manufacturing. I think this is righter than
: it can be right, unless one is indeed blind.
: Omega really sucks here.

This is _definitely_ not true with regards to my own SMP; under the loupe the markers are spot-on, they are overlaid onto a fractionally larger white marker, [which effectively "borders" the luminova, ok, low-rent!] there is no bleed or bump and the edges are completely straight.
Also this SMP has killer legibility under any lighting- I was really surprised how good this is.

: Also I have issue with the
: "Dipped" Second hand in regards to
: the Red paint, I would much rather see
: something that is applied, but then again
: that is just my personal preference.

I think that red tip looks cool :-P

: I guess you could refer to the Rolex dial as
: "boring" but then again you could
: say that about virtually any other watch
: with a plain dial, eg. IWC, JLC, PP and even
: some Omega Models have plain gloss dials.

: However Personally I do not like the wave
: pattern, and would like to see a SMP with a
: plain dial. But that is just me.

The "wave" dial may look OTT under halogen in a shop, but it does "grow" on you; after a month one barely notices it- but sees a nice texture to the watch face [on my black model at least]... all subjective, of course.

: "I don't want to talk about braclet
: quality, as
: I believe it is a given, also admited by the
: magazine, that Rolex's braclet is just not
: good enough for the price charged. It is
: fine, but for that money they should also
: score hear much better. Always bring things
: into perspective. Point."

: When and if Omega finally switches to something
: better than Friction pins in their design,
: then I will appreciate them more, however I
: just cannot like a bracelet that relies on
: Friction pins..to me it is just poor
: engineering and a way to cut corners.

Friction pins may seem like poor engineering, but IMHO the Speedmaster-style bracelet on my SMP looks and feels _way_ better than the standard Sub bracelet, which feels really cheap and flimsy.

: "Now, the comparison test in the magazine
: also
: failed in one regard, and now we are getting
: to the real big point, THE PRICE.

Ahh yes, the price.
The SMP is my first proper grown-up watch, I think I have acquired a taste for them...I quite fancy adding a Sea Dweller to start a collection [can't stand the cyclops lens on the Sub], but the prices of Rolexes here in the UK are just...silly.

: 1. Non Boardered Markers
: 2. Wave Pattern on Dial (not appealing to me)
: 3. Dipped Seconds hand (Should have been
: brushed)
: 4. He Valve (To me Un-necessary and awkward,

: would have much rather seen one which was auto

: like on breit or Rolex)

The Helium valve is fine, just a conversation piece.

: 5. Friction Pin Bracelet
: 6. No fine adjustments on clasp, only half
: links

No idea about this, the [authorised Omega] dealer took a half-link out for me before I walked out of the shop, fits perfectly.

: 7. ETA movement

No idea about this either; out-of-the-box my watch just gains half a second a day if worn 24/7, I haven't got round to testing overnight orientations yet.
If it lasts as long as my Father's first proper watch, [Omega Speedmaster, bought by him in Germany in 1969, still accurate to about 15 secs per day, he can't even remember when he last had it serviced- should just send it over the border to the factory- he lives in Luxemburg] I won't be particularly surprised.

: 8. US Service centers reportedly suck, this was
: a

: biggie for me.

Again no idea, I expect service centres in the UK to be fine [grin].

: 9. Crown not very substantial when compaired to

: others (Has a tendancy to wobble when

: unscrewed)

Mine doesn't.

: 10. Clasp reportedly opens when wrist is moved
: in

: a certain manner

If you have the bracelet way too tight??

: So I guess it all comes down to what you are
: looking for in a watch...

Yes, I would _love_ a Sea Dweller to complement my Seamaster, but I am in no way anything less than delighted with my first high-end watch...I very nearly bought a new black-face Tag Heuer Monaco.
Lucky escape...

Cheers.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE